News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lovetone Love Fest

Started by gordo, August 25, 2021, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Lovetone pedals have always been a fascination, although sometimes a pretty too touch for live use.  Let alone the real estate they take up on a typical pedalboard.  Still...very cool stuff.  I already had a few builds from a few sources and a Dminner etched enclosure for one of them (previously posted) so I thought I'd add to the family with a few of Aion's new boards:

Spectron (Meatball).  I'd already built the Music PCB board but never really bonded with it.  This one nailed it and it's likely due to LDR/LED selection as well.  For whatever reason this is likely the best triggered filter I've made.  Close second is the Madbean Flunkee, due to it's dead simple operation, but good sound.  Laser'd powdercoat for the graphics.  I'll never remember what the jacks do on the back.  Didn't have room for front graphics, and if I ever need to get weird or expressive I'll just have to dig up the docs.

Next up is the Monolith (Big Cheeze) and the Obelisk (Brown Source).  I've never played either of these, which is strange considering I'm old as Moses.  Very nice pedals without being typical "out there" Lovetones.  Again, laser'd powdercoat.

And finally a few old builds with fresh knobs.  The Doppelganger and ?Flanger

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Those look amazing! I really like the laser cut look.

I built a big cheese a while back and it's quickly become my favorite, might have to delve further into the rabbit hole

harryklippton

Well that flanger is about the best thing I've ever seen.

Edit: best thing. Wowwie I like that

Bio77

Wow!  Killer builds.

That laser is serving you well, they look super pro.  My fave is the Spectron.  It looks spacey but still has a nod to the original.  I've got that PCB in my stash, glad to hear you like it.  I'm right there with you on the Flunkee.   

gordo

This is kinda funny.  Once I checked this post again I noticed I never soldered the header pins on the rotary switches.  It makes the build easier if you drop the daughter boards onto the pins once the main board is tightened down.  The fit is so tight that it worked anyway but I went back and soldered them.
Gordy Power

alanp

Nice, you just need the Lovetone tremolo now!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alanp on August 25, 2021, 07:47:06 PM
Nice, you just need the Lovetone tremolo now!

AND... the Ring Stinger  8)

LaceSensor

nice to see some of the new ones in field

jimilee

Nice, lovefest indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Alanp and G_L, I seem to be obsessed with completing the "set" so I found the Ring Stinger and Wobulator over at Deadend FX.  I found the OEP1200 transformers over at Newark for the Wobulator.  Does anyone have any idea where I can find the LT44 transformers for the Ring Stinger in the US??

Looks like the Hammond 145P at 20k primary: 1k CT secondary might do the trick.  Most places have them for $22 each.  Ouch.  I don't even like ring modulators, I just like Lovetone stuff.
Gordy Power

jjjimi84

Just looks glorious! Lovetone is not for everyone and I am starting to believe I am not one of them. Too big, kinda hard to dial in and option paralysis.

gordo

Quote from: jjjimi84 on August 28, 2021, 06:31:33 AMToo big, kinda hard to dial in and option paralysis.

That should have been their mantra.  Normally any one of those would drive me crazy but for some reason I find it kinda fascinating on these.  When I was young I toured with an ARP Avatar (which is likely why all my hair is gone) so it must be triggering some sort of underlying masochistic tendency.
Gordy Power

gordo

Think I nailed the transformers.  I found Hammond 145p's at Powell Electronics in NJ for 18.83 a pop.  Crazy for a tiny little audio trans that likely cost a couple of bucks to make.  Gotta pay to play I guess.
Gordy Power

Invertiguy

Incredible work, your builds look amazing! I really need to get more Lovetone in my life, I put together a ? Flanger out of sheer curiosity and now I'd really like to round out the collection.
Doomsday Devices

LaceSensor

Quote from: gordo on August 28, 2021, 06:19:24 AM
Alanp and G_L, I seem to be obsessed with completing the "set" so I found the Ring Stinger and Wobulator over at Deadend FX.  I found the OEP1200 transformers over at Newark for the Wobulator.  Does anyone have any idea where I can find the LT44 transformers for the Ring Stinger in the US??

Looks like the Hammond 145P at 20k primary: 1k CT secondary might do the trick.  Most places have them for $22 each.  Ouch.  I don't even like ring modulators, I just like Lovetone stuff.

Do you like octave up fuzz? Its awesome for that too.
Does some crazy gated tremolo also.
Id say unless you go balls to the wall, the blend knob is a godsend and in that sense its a great "background texture machine"