News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lovetone Love Fest

Started by gordo, August 25, 2021, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: gordo on August 28, 2021, 08:09:13 AM
Think I nailed the transformers.  I found Hammond 145p's at Powell Electronics in NJ for 18.83 a pop.  Crazy for a tiny little audio trans that likely cost a couple of bucks to make.  Gotta pay to play I guess.

Did you get these already? If not let me know. I can pass along a link to a reputable source that will send (2) LT44 transformers.

gordo

Cool thanks.  Hoping these don't show up and look like output transformers for an Ampeg...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

I seem to be going thru some sort of mini-chicken head knob phase.  I'll replace the top row as soon as my grey aluminum's get here.  In the meantime no mini-chickens were harmed during the building of this pedal.

This thing is just sick.  Another one of those "how the hell am I going to use THIS?" pedals but I've already spent a few hours having a blast with it on the bench so I guess I have my answer.  The build was pretty simple but lots of offboard wiring to the switches.  I made little attempt to keep it neat, I was more interested in keeping it short and direct to avoid any LFO ticking.  In drilling out the enclosure I completely forgot there was a center post (this has 6 screws) so had to do some creative filing.  Much needlessly foul language was involved.  The transformers I used were Hammonds and while they're way too big to fit on the daughter-board the leads were long enough that I could mount them on the side walls with little issue.

The enclosure is painted in Rustoleum "Cement" which attempts to look like concrete but to me looks more like a matte metallic grey.  I like it and shot the inside and outside of it, water-slide decals, and then matte clear.  I need to tweak the trimmers yet, so that's likely going to eat another few hours of playing it.

Gordy Power

Govmnt_Lacky

Thats a nice build there!

That is the one board I really wish DEFX would have located the wiring closer to the stomps like all their other PCBs.

Are you having any issues with knob collisions? Looks like the spacing is quite close  :o

alanp

That pedal is crazy. And crazy fun :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 16, 2021, 12:26:05 PM
Are you having any issues with knob collisions? Looks like the spacing is quite close  :o

Big time.  You sort of have to turn them in unison :-)  I'm going to switch out the top row to the smaller grey aluminums that I used on the Dopple Ganger.  I thought about hiding the wiring underneath the board but especially when using ribbon cable (and I'm not a fan because it's too hard to see if you've stressed or snapped a connection) I decided it would be a troubleshooting nightmare.  I've built enough boards that I shouldn't be surprised but I was surprised to have it come up without any troubleshooting.  I remembered to solder in the rotary switches and THEN solder in the pots (which puts the ends of the lugs about even with the pcb).  My only major faux pas was the center column for the screw hole.  Not a big deal.  A worse deal was painting it in a really cool looking Behr (never used it before) green, getting the decal set, and then shooting clear only to find out that the Rustoleum and Behr were incompatible.  Newb level mistake and I watched the entire enclosure wrinkle into a crackled mess.  TBH I like this grey better anyway.  That's what I'm saying thru the tears anyway...
Gordy Power

gordo

Greg, good call on the ringer.  I'm really not a ring mod fan but this is, as Alan notes, too fun.
Gordy Power

LaceSensor

everyone needs a ring stinger in their life. the blend control is your best friend with it

PMowdes2

Thats a nice build there!

That is the one board I really wish DEFX would have located the wiring closer to the stomps like all their other PCBs.

Easier said than done Greg.  Although that was laid out some time ago, perhaps I'll revisit it and see if I can improve it
DeadEndFX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: PMowdes2 on September 19, 2021, 07:36:54 AM

Easier said than done Greg.  Although that was laid out some time ago, perhaps I'll revisit it and see if I can improve it

I do not doubt that it is a big ask. You guys keep pushing the boundaries on good projects. It is what it is and it doesn't stop them from being awesome!  ;)

gordo

And the last of the bunch:  The Wobulator

Very slick tremolo.  I butchered the paint job but this photo looks good so I'll run with it.

Gordy Power

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

8) 8)

We need gutshots of that trem!

Very nice work!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: alanp on October 02, 2021, 10:12:03 PM
8) 8)

We need gutshots of that trem!

Very nice work!

i imagine its the dead end PCB

gordo

Alan, this really does need a gut shot.  I was able to find the original transformers and although the wiring started off as under the board it took a turn for the worse when I figured out I had all the external jacks backward and had to start from scratch.  This is a crazy pedal for "just" being a tremolo.

The flying wire is a chassis ground and there was no way I was taking out a footswitch again to use a grounding washer so it was plan "B".

Gordy Power