News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hendrix fuzz

Started by redkurn, August 30, 2021, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

Which pedal on here is the closest to the Hendrix fuzz, what mods should be made to nail the sound?

Really want a nice fuzz that fits the part well.

Zerro

I have the oldiest Hendrix's fuzz face - very simply, and advanced modification, named Suck Adjustable Fuzz. With NPN germanium tranzistors (but there is avaiable PNP modification too).
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

redkurn

Quote from: Zerro on August 30, 2021, 12:06:26 PM
I have the oldiest Hendrix's fuzz face - very simply, and advanced modification, named Suck Adjustable Fuzz. With NPN germanium tranzistors (but there is avaiable PNP modification too).

Looks like it's double the bazz fuzz (not scratching that dirt itch) I built a while back, different parts.
The suck fuzz looks interesting, I might have some of these parts laying around and can drop them onto my breadboard, definitely building both though.

Zerro

Don't know bazz fuzz, I have Buzz Fuzz. That adjustable fuzz is very good for experiments. Many knobs for playing around :@) Here is pnp version.

matmosphere

A good Fuzz Face will get you a lot of Hendrix sounds but you need to be careful about getting the right hfe and leakage for the transistors AND biasing it correctly. Smallbear is the easiest place to get them. I built one a few years back, if you play the neck pickup on a Strat through a good fuzz face into a fender or Marshall you get a good basic Hendrix sound.

What might be more fun/interesting is building a Madbean Retrograde. It's a Octavia clone, so an octave up fuzz. Hendrix used one quite a bit. If you want that Fire/Purple Haze sound then build a retrograde. They sound very cool. It was definitely what I was looking for when I thought Hendrix sound. They are less fussy to build as well. The only tricky thing is finding the little transformer, but I think Mouser and smallbear stock them.

Zerro

Fuzzes, creating octaves, making that high pitched clipped sound are very popular even now, though 60-ies are already over. Here I send two samples for considering. That Royal fuzz is a typical construction.