News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Instructions for very early version of the Boneyard build

Started by OrpheusSF, February 17, 2022, 01:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrpheusSF

HI all-

I just pulled out a very old build of the Boneyard. It's the one with the very small rectangular PCB, with beveled upper corners and square lower corners. I'm interested in getting it working again. The switch wiring is kind of complicated. I looked at instructions for what is supposed to be V1, but mine is older than that! The ground leg of each LED is soldered to the upper right lug on each switch (as you look down on the guts), but I cannot figure out how they get power. There are other random wires loose that I don't know how to reconnect. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I follow directions well. Does anyone have the instructions or a switch wiring diagram for a very early version of Boneyard? I know this one was discontinued because of noise issues, but I recall mine working fine once upon a time. I'd love to put it back in service.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

OrpheusSF

That's it! Thank you so much.

This board was clearly a problem child, as it was laid out in several iterations before being withdrawn. Mine worked, I think primarily through using really good parts and all shielded cable, with all the shrouds to common ground. I'm going to try the parts mods in the v2 instrux though. I think it was overly ambitious to lay it out so tightly in this version.

I'm going to keep you in mind for the JFETs. I've been having a lot of bias problems with the one's I can get through the constricted covid supply chain.

Big thanks!

madbean

The problem that people had with the Boneyard was oscillation at the higher gain settings. That was mainly solved by putting a buffer in front of the circuit. Which is a little bit surprising considering considering the BY has a buffer right at the input. One of the differences from the Plexi circuit is mine was spec'd at 9v instead of the stock 12v and I do remember people saying it was a bit different sounding (were going back about 11 years here so I might be fuzzy, haha).

I did work up a board a couple years ago that is the dual channel version with an added switchable JFET input buffer in a 125B. I have to admit, I still haven't built it.