News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Beyond aggravated. Please read

Started by 9Lives, December 13, 2011, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

Ok, so I finished the ego driver. I know I've posted a few times. I'm sorry if it's getting annoying. Today I took this pedal to my local music store to show it off and.... Buzzzzz. The things I did different on this pedal.
1. Used powder coated box
2.used Metal 2.1 ac adapter
3. Used the other blue 3pdt with pcb mounts and small pcb for switch.

anyway it's working with my adapter but not theirs. When I wiggle the ac plug it pop and cracks really loud. Also it will not power the next pedal in the daisy chain. When I switch it on and off it gives a magnified true bypass pop. Please o please just tell me it's somthing idiotic. I've tought myself how to build pedals.. Not very professional but I  thought I did a beautiful job :/.

JakeFuzz

Did you make sure it was a center negative supply? I've fried a few things by not checking that out first.

jkokura

Can you show us your dc adaptor? It sounds like you got the wrong type.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

keysandguitars

Sorry for the frustrations man. In the future, may I suggest rigging up a battery snap to a 2.1mm plug. You can just use that to power the effect when you're taking it to show off and don't want to lug the adaptor. Just make sure you wire it according to the effect, negative or positive ground.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

9Lives

ok.. I feel like a dumbass.. That metal dc jack... Was grounded on the chasis....wow.  Right now I have it electrical taped and tyfloned (cant spell) and it works. I think I'm gonna  file the hole and shrink tube a piece around the jack on top of tyflon tape and bolt it down.

LaceSensor

Quote from: 9Lives on December 13, 2011, 07:51:10 PM
ok.. I feel like a dumbass.. That metal dc jack... Was grounded on the chasis....wow.  Right now I have it electrical taped and tyfloned (cant spell) and it works. I think I'm gonna  file the hole and shrink tube a piece around the jack on top of tyflon tape and bolt it down.

Happened to all of us. I had a metal dc jack once, useless.
For what it's worth and no offence just get the correct plastic type.

Dixie_Crap

Same happened to me and I couldn't for the life of me see what was wrong.  The more mistakes we make, the more we learn.

TNblueshawk

Hey 9, been there. No matter how many pedals you build, it can strike at any time....dumbassness  ;D I hear tales of seasoned builders who spend an hour troubleshooting a pedal only to find out they never installed the IC  :o  Or, plugging everything up, turning on the amp and dead silence...then taking that sucker back to the bench everything checks out, replugging and damn silence again....only to eventually realize the volume pot on the guitar is turned down....

Go ahead, ask me how I know that last one  ::)
John

9Lives

LOL yup. My thought were that the metal ones were smaller and would fit better, those plastic ones take such a freakin large bit that I have to re setup the drill press bc... Bigger the bit... Longer the bit. And of coarse the GOTTA go on the top of the pedal.. Well I tefloned that biotch and works fine.. It's just so muffled on my amp. The tl082 just low or what could be the issue? All film and tantalum caps.

TNblueshawk

John

Myramyd

Hey 9,

The Egodriver is a pretty "muffled" sounding pedal on some amps. First off, I would start with the tone knob all the way up, with the lowest usable place around 3 o'clock.

After that, I would experiment with a few other ICs to see if it opens up the sound of the pedal. If I remember correctly, I think I ended up sticking with a 4580 instead of the TL082.

Lastly, the pedal doesn't typically sound that great with the gain past about 10 o'clock (normal sound) or up to around 2 o'clock (maximum before it sounds like crap). This changes slightly depending on the IC and or/which position the switch is in but, those are steps to try.

Mine gets a nice JTM45 type sound through a clean amp, good for Hendrix type stuff. YMMV

J