News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small bear retiring

Started by fair.child, September 22, 2021, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Didn't Steve announce that he was selling stock until it was all gone? If this is the case then I would expect that he may not be planning to sell off the business to someone else rather that he is just getting out of it. Still very sad for the DIY community.

peAk

Quote from: glops on September 22, 2021, 10:23:54 PM
Man, the world is really ending. I am completed gutted by this news. I love small bear so much and going to miss that site, been shopping there for over 10 years now. I really can't live without that wire or those thin stomp washers and it was the only place I bought pots. Super depressing, what a shit year...

This, this, and THIS!!!

jimilee

Quote from: matmosphere on September 23, 2021, 03:25:46 AM
Quote from: culturejam on September 22, 2021, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on September 22, 2021, 04:17:02 PM
I guess I haven't seen him in a movie in a while, this explains why.

TWO DOLLARS!

Perhaps one of the finest films ever made!
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

G.G.

Small Bear was probably the first place I ever ordered from, like 12 years ago. They will be missed. :-/

Bret608

I am at a loss...if I hadn't learned that Small Bear existed from the first Indyguitarist mods book, I may not even have had the idea to go deeper into DIY, not just modding or doing kits but sourcing whole builds myself. Luckily I found out that Madbean existed around the same time, through a rather circuitous route. I had a feeling something like this would happen this year...

On the other hand, I wish Steve all the best and am sure he and his wife have many travels planned!

fair.child

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 23, 2021, 03:43:38 AM
Didn't Steve announce that he was selling stock until it was all gone? If this is the case then I would expect that he may not be planning to sell off the business to someone else rather that he is just getting out of it. Still very sad for the DIY community.

Plan ahead, at least 10 years stock of build. Otherwise ask Steve where we can source it separately, like cables or carling switches

EBK

There are already a ton of things out of stock.  I placed a panic order this morning to ensure I would at least have some JFETs and some EOL ICs.  Also bought some wire, of course.  Many things I wanted to buy are gone for good.  I am sad too. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

Feels like the end of an era.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesameage

I don't know where I'm gonna get my supplies! Really loved going to SB for everything even if it was a little more sometimes.

Also, the shop wasn't too far from where I live and they'd sometimes leave orders at a local copy shop down the street for pickup. That was amazing!

gordo

Quote from: alanp on September 23, 2021, 01:47:27 PM
Feels like the end of an era.

That's the really sad part.  Folks like Lawrence and Cusack are doing a really nice job but Steve's was like walking into an old book store just because of the history and the cool nooks and crannies.  My most tense order was early in the game when I etched and built GGG's Phase 100 and had to place an order for the Vactrols.  Even early in the game they were pricey.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

harryklippton

I've never gotten an item I was disappointed with from small bear. That's hard to beat

alanp

I didn't order from them very often at all, due to the high shipping rates. (When one lives in a remote ocean-bound country, one must be aware of these things.) But Steve was always, always good for obscure, out of production parts, and those parts were always, always reliable. Never any re-painted chips, and never any damaged chips, and never any parts that plain out didn't work.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: culturejam on September 22, 2021, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on September 22, 2021, 04:17:02 PM
I guess I haven't seen him in a movie in a while, this explains why.

TWO DOLLARS!
You win the internet today! One of the funniest movies ever.
Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

Quote from: EBK on September 23, 2021, 11:52:38 AM
There are already a ton of things out of stock.  I placed a panic order this morning to ensure I would at least have some JFETs and some EOL ICs.  Also bought some wire, of course.  Many things I wanted to buy are gone for good.  I am sad too.

I placed a very large order myself. I'm bummed there were no more matched germanium fuzz sets but at least I have a few good ones left. Mostly I got lots of wire, some mojo Si transistors and some other potentially hard to replace items. I expect I'll do another big order before it's all over for some EOL IC's, too.