News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small bear retiring

Started by fair.child, September 22, 2021, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Oh man, what a bummer. 

I just placed a "oh crap" order.  Wish I had more projects lined up.  I'm sure I'm going to need something obscure as soon as they're gone  :P

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on September 24, 2021, 06:51:27 AM
Quote from: EBK on September 23, 2021, 11:52:38 AM
There are already a ton of things out of stock.  I placed a panic order this morning to ensure I would at least have some JFETs and some EOL ICs.  Also bought some wire, of course.  Many things I wanted to buy are gone for good.  I am sad too.

I placed a very large order myself. I'm bummed there were no more matched germanium fuzz sets but at least I have a few good ones left. Mostly I got lots of wire, some mojo Si transistors and some other potentially hard to replace items. I expect I'll do another big order before it's all over for some EOL IC's, too.

What EOL ICs are you looking for? Stock has already been diminished and many go-to chips are OOS already.

jimilee

Steve Posted a nice letter in a post over in DIYSB.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: alanp on September 24, 2021, 01:51:29 PM
https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/autumn-2021/

The same letter is on the Smallbear website.
Ah, I hadn't seen it yet. I've been checking the website to see if he said anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Good time to buy vactrols if you don't like rolling your own.  I wish Steve had more BBDs and compander chips.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on September 24, 2021, 02:38:30 PM
Good time to buy vactrols if you don't like rolling your own.  I wish Steve had more BBDs and compander chips.

Check out cabintech. They've got a comprehensive selection and dirt cheap shipping.

EBK

Quote from: benny_profane on September 24, 2021, 03:16:08 PM

Check out cabintech. They've got a comprehensive selection and dirt cheap shipping.
No counterfeits?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on September 24, 2021, 03:20:46 PM

No counterfeits?

Nope. They're a US authorized xvive distributor. I've never had an issue with anything from them.

EBK

Quote from: benny_profane on September 24, 2021, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: EBK on September 24, 2021, 03:20:46 PM

No counterfeits?

Nope. They're a US authorized xvive distributor. I've never had an issue with anything from them.

That's awesome!  Thanks for the info!

peAk

So what are ya'll planning on doing?

I seriously used Smallbear for all the hard-to-find stuff. Is Ebay basically the place we are going to have to use if it's not available from Mouser or Digikey?

EBK

I'm staying very far away from ebay.  I'll use Mouser as much as I can.  BLMS for switches and knobs.

Aentons

I just looked back at my order history to see if there was anything in particular that I always ordered from there. Lots of pots and caps that tend to be out of stock other places but almost every order I've made had switches, optocouplers, and a v571.

Also, my very first order (way back in early 2017 ) had jellybean transitor and diode kits that I have zero recollection of ever receiving or using. Weird

Bio77

Quote from: Aentons on September 24, 2021, 07:37:34 PM
I just looked back at my order history to see if there was anything in particular that I always ordered from there. Lots of pots and caps that tend to be out of stock other places but almost every order I've made had switches, optocouplers, and a v571.

Also, my very first order (way back in early 2017 ) had jellybean transitor and diode kits that I have zero recollection of ever receiving or using. Weird

Damn, I forgot 571s!  They're gone  :(

What are jellybean transistors? Sound pretty sweet  ;D

alanp

Jellybean parts are stock standard ones that you can use in nearly any situation, like TL07x opamps and BC5x7 transistors.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website