Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small bear retiring

Started by fair.child, September 22, 2021, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: aion on September 27, 2021, 08:36:54 AM
Quote from: fair.child on September 26, 2021, 09:01:51 PM
I guess we just need to give Steve a call and ask for source of the parts. In case in the future, we will order the parts. At least we know where to go. But again, if he's going to provide us with some directions.

Someone on FB emailed Steve to ask about sources and he had this response:

"The vendor information and part numbers are part of my intellectual capital. What I suggest to customers who are looking for a new source is that they do the homework I did."

I was already thinking about asking about their source for pot dust covers since I use them for all my kits - they fit better than Tayda's. So this was pretty disappointing to see, since he hasn't given any other indication that he plans on capitalizing on his intellectual property (i.e. selling the business including supplier lists). Based on the information he's shared, the inference is that he's just going to leave customers stranded if they were dependent on parts that only SBE sells.

I hope it's just bad miscommunication on his part and there's more news to come. But SBE's relationship with the DIY community goes both ways. He's been a great part of it, legendary even, but we've also given him his job for 20 years, so this is not a great way to close out an otherwise impeccable career.

I also hope that someone picks up the mantle and continues to provide to the DIY community in such a manner. That being said....

Many have depended on Steve for their builds and he provided an invaluable service however, I had done my research and that is why I probably placed about 4 orders with SBE in about 15 years.

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on September 27, 2021, 09:01:14 AM
Presumably, his intellectual capital is for sale at the right price to the right buyer.

The issue is that the intellectual capital is only one part of it.  SB carried quite a large number of SKUs, which is what made them special.  It would require significant inventory capital to get it up and running.  So, even if Steve wants a reasonable price for his intellectual capital, it will only get you part of the way there.

But there's another potential problem.  The value is not just where Steve's buying from, but the long term relationships with the various vendors.  If he's been a good customer for years, he might get different pricing than somebody new coming along.  I have no idea if that's true or not, but I've seen that on many occasions IRL.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fair.child

Bottom line,

it's hard to replace but since Steve is out and I just noticed the Facebook post. Most of the sources can come from Taiwan and building that relationships over the communication. I had experience building relationships overseas over test instruments business with Taiwan and China vendors. They are not easy to deal with especially dealing with customs and qty prices.

I hope we can overcome this issue as a community, not as an individual. Sometimes I really don't want to think about it but it's coming and reality.

What is the average we are spending here with Smallbear? $1k? $3k? $5k? For last time shopping? Share with me some insights here to help me justify in front of my spouse.

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on September 27, 2021, 04:33:25 AM
Quote from: matmosphere on September 26, 2021, 06:11:22 AM
I know this will be an unpopular thing to say, but Tayda carries a lot of 9mm lots now and the few I've gotten from them have been fine.

I think the reality of this is that there is demand for a lot of this stuff and a couple of places will probably step up and attempt to fill the gaps created. There is a demand and I'm sure it will be filled. I'll be sad to not have smallbear, but my solder will continue to flow.

The only question is, how much wire to stockpile before he closes for good.

I expect I am the outlier, but in my case, Tayda carries the wrong 9mm pots.  They carry the PC mount right angle version and I prefer the typical PC mount, which is more difficult to find.

CE distribution (distribution arm of amplified parts/antique electronic supply) sells the straight pin 9mm Alphas. I'm guessing they don't carry half the values that Steve does but it might be an option worth checking out.

culturejam

Quote from: Stomptown on September 28, 2021, 12:31:18 AM
CE distribution (distribution arm of amplified parts/antique electronic supply) sells the straight pin 9mm Alphas. I'm guessing they don't carry half the values that Steve does but it might be an option worth checking out.

I didn't realize they sold these in straight pin. But you're right that they don't have all the values you'd need to build a lot of pedals. In linear taper, they have 10K, 25K, 50K, 100K, 1M. Not great, not terrible.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on September 29, 2021, 06:28:29 PM

I didn't realize they sold these in straight pin. But you're right that they don't have all the values you'd need to build a lot of pedals. In linear taper, they have 10K, 25K, 50K, 100K, 1M. Not great, not terrible.

It's definitely helpful, but not nearly enough values, unfortunately.
Function f(x)

Govmnt_Lacky

Reluctantly, I placed an order the day after the announcement was made about the retirement. Only place I could get the smaller chicken head knobs in the colors I wanted.

That was a week ago and still no word on what the status is.  :-\

Unfortunately, this is why I hardly ever ordered from them in the past. Almost every order I placed I had to email them and "prod" them to get my items out in the mail. Looks like its time for another email  :-[

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 30, 2021, 06:01:41 AM
Reluctantly, I placed an order the day after the announcement was made about the retirement. Only place I could get the smaller chicken head knobs in the colors I wanted.

That was a week ago and still no word on what the status is.  :-\

Unfortunately, this is why I hardly ever ordered from them in the past. Almost every order I placed I had to email them and "prod" them to get my items out in the mail. Looks like its time for another email  :-[

I expect that they are buried with final orders.  I'm waiting on a big shipment as well.  I'm sure they'll get to it.
Function f(x)

EBK

I placed three orders since the announcement.  I emailed them asking to merge the orders to save on shipping, and they responded the next day telling me the merged orders were ready for packing and would go out with the next scheduled mail drop.  No automatic order status email saying that though.  Generally, 14 days from my payment is the max I've ever had to wait for a Smallbear order to arrive.  I'm fine with that, but I understand not everyone would be.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

benny_profane

straight pin 9mm Alphas.

My guess would be Cusack (StompBoxParts) might end up carrying these. They already have white label 16mm pots (in addition to Mammoth dead stock and Alpha) and 9mm right-angle pots. Could be worth sending him a message.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: EBK on September 30, 2021, 08:05:37 AM
I placed three orders since the announcement.  I emailed them asking to merge the orders to save on shipping, and they responded the next day telling me the merged orders were ready for packing and would go out with the next scheduled mail drop.  No automatic order status email saying that though.  Generally, 14 days from my payment is the max I've ever had to wait for a Smallbear order to arrive.  I'm fine with that, but I understand not everyone would be.

Meh.. This is not the first time. On a previous order, I waited about 10 days before emailing them and it was then that they told me that my order would go in the mail that day. Any others after that, I have had to email them a few days after the order to get them to act on it.
I deal with vendors on a daily basis for work so I know how it goes... unfortunately.

EDIT: I guess they saw my email. Got a shipping notice a minute ago  :o

madbean

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 30, 2021, 09:34:17 AM

Great! It was about a week to get shipping notification for my last one which I placed the day Steve made the announcement, I think. USPS is slowing some weekend delivery according to what I read today. Not everywhere, but in some parts of the country.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on September 30, 2021, 05:18:25 PM

Great! It was about a week to get shipping notification for my last one which I placed the day Steve made the announcement, I think. USPS is slowing some weekend delivery according to what I read today. Not everywhere, but in some parts of the country.
As if the USPS wasn't going slow enough, new slow downs start tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Meh.. This is not the first time. On a previous order, I waited about 10 days before emailing them and it was then that they told me that my order would go in the mail that day. Any others after that, I have had to email them a few days after the order to get them to act on it.
I deal with vendors on a daily basis for work so I know how it goes... unfortunately.

It's funny, we're in the same state, and in a couple dozen orders I've never had to wait more than 5 days from when I place the order to it being on my doorstep.

Maybe you're on someone's shitlist.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on October 01, 2021, 09:24:03 AM

It's funny, we're in the same state, and in a couple dozen orders I've never had to wait more than 5 days from when I place the order to it being on my doorstep.

Maybe you're on someone's shitlist.

Squeaky wheel gets the least? 
Function f(x)