News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any Advice on What to Look for in a Magnifying Lamp?

Started by Aviator18, September 23, 2021, 06:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aviator18

I soldered my first PCB today and determined I need better light and magnification (my eyes aren't as good as they were 30 years ago).  Any advise on what to look for in a magnifying lamp or one you would recommend?

jimilee

Quote from: Aviator18 on September 23, 2021, 06:50:00 PM
I soldered my first PCB today and determined I need better light and magnification (my eyes aren't as good as they were 30 years ago).  Any advise on what to look for in a magnifying lamp or one you would recommend?
This has been a topic more times than I realized. Here is what Brian is using (or the link to the topic, I need to look into one too.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27403.msg265383#msg265383
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

I switched to lighted magnifying lenses last year. I prefer them to the lighted magnifying lens and found I don't have to crane my neck so much

Aviator18

alanp

I started with a gooseneck magnifying glass with a built-in light. Worked pretty well, although I have to hold my head at the right place and the right angle, and you have to work around it with the soldering iron and solder.

I was later gifted a head mounted magnifying set with built-in light. Much easier to work with, although the extra weight takes a little bit to get used to. You can do whatever you want with your iron and hands.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on September 23, 2021, 10:53:31 PM
I started with a gooseneck magnifying glass with a built-in light. Worked pretty well, although I have to hold my head at the right place and the right angle, and you have to work around it with the soldering iron and solder.

I was later gifted a head mounted magnifying set with built-in light. Much easier to work with, although the extra weight takes a little bit to get used to. You can do whatever you want with your iron and hands.

This, had one, the magnifying lamp is just a pain to use, always in the way, always needing to be adjusted, moved, my shops well lit and i use a headband binocular magnifier that pivots up out of the way when i don't need it, easy to use even with glasses and always there wherever you turn your head to look. 

This is the one i've been using for many years, lots out there to choose from.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aviator18

I got a lighted head set coming and a 5x Magnifying Lamp. I need a lamp anyway, so I might as well get one with magnification.

Aviator18

Got these today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GWM9QN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference is night and day! I can see a great deal more detail and makes the job much easier.

jimilee

Ooh nice. I need some more of those. I use mine a lot, mostly for troubleshooting. The rest of the time, I use reading glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Vivek_rc

I have one of these and find it very useful. Take a bit getting used to when soldering but it's become a useful tool.

Aviator18

Wow, that surely makes it easy to read resistor values. ;D