Noob Attempts Pedal Build...Coloursound One Knob Fuzz Reissue...Now With Pics!

Started by burnt fingers, September 26, 2021, 07:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnt fingers

NOT mine, obviously  ;D

This is where I am aiming, in terms of skill level and neatness....just a beautiful build in my eyes! Wires obviously not at 90 degrees BUT stiffer wire and so neat/tidy!

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

burnt fingers

Bio77

The wire you want is 22g pre-tinned.  It holds its shape. If you check Small Bear, they might have some left. 

I'd also recommend getting some 24g for tighter builds like 1590As

Zerro

For the best reliability is more usefull soft and light cord with silicon isolation. Only one wire is more inclinable to break when some shock during transport.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

burnt fingers

Quote from: Bio77 on September 29, 2021, 02:11:22 PM
The wire you want is 22g pre-tinned.  It holds its shape. If you check Small Bear, they might have some left. 

I'd also recommend getting some 24g for tighter builds like 1590As

UK based, sadly....

Will look into it though....some 24g? Not sure what that is, sorry, Noob here!

Bio77

The numbers are the gauge of the wire. 24 has a smaller diameter (easier to bend) than 22.  I prefer the 22 but a lot of builders like 24.  I have some 24 for tight builds because sometimes the 22 is too bulky.  There should be a source for it in the UK. I was going to post a link to Small Bear link for reference, but their site seems to be down at the moment.  Here's a link to GuitarPCB's 24g wire as an example. 

https://guitarpcb.com/product/barrys-best-pedal-hookup-wire/   

burnt fingers

Quote from: Bio77 on September 29, 2021, 04:58:04 PM
The numbers are the gauge of the wire. 24 has a smaller diameter (easier to bend) than 22.  I prefer the 22 but a lot of builders like 24.  I have some 24 for tight builds because sometimes the 22 is too bulky.  There should be a source for it in the UK. I was going to post a link to Small Bear link for reference, but their site seems to be down at the moment.  Here's a link to GuitarPCB's 24g wire as an example. 

https://guitarpcb.com/product/barrys-best-pedal-hookup-wire/

Cool! Thank you! I thought it must be that, just wasn't sure as I am used to seeing .24mm or the like.

Appreciate it!

:)

Zerro

At second page of this thread I sent you table metrum.png. With gauges of all 3 types.

burnt fingers

Quote from: Zerro on September 30, 2021, 06:35:36 AM
At second page of this thread I sent you table metrum.png. With gauges of all 3 types.

Hi, I did see that....I understood the column with mm...As for the rest of it?
I know nothing remember  :)
Can you explain the relevance please?

Zerro

A.W.G - American wire gauge (USA)
S.W.G. - Imperial standard wire gauge (british)
B.W.G. - Birmingham wire gauge (british)

If you are from USA, you will mostly encounter with A.W.G. Most of differencies are not so big as you see.

burnt fingers

Quote from: Zerro on September 30, 2021, 08:10:11 AM
A.W.G - American wire gauge (USA)
S.W.G. - Imperial standard wire gauge (british)
B.W.G. - Birmingham wire gauge (british)

If you are from USA, you will mostly encounter with A.W.G. Most of differencies are not so big as you see.

Cool...I am in the UK.

burnt fingers

Anyone one from here based in the UK and using 0.24mm? Having a hard time finding it!
And the mail has been and gone without my missing parts...Joy!
::)
SCORE!
Postie came back having realised she had a package for me!!!!

davent

Quote from: burnt fingers on October 01, 2021, 05:32:18 AM
Anyone one from here based in the UK and using 0.24mm? Having a hard time finding it!
SCORE!

0.24mm  would be extremely tiny in terms of what we use, that would be ~31awg size, the bigger the number the smaller the wire.
22awg is 0.644mm, 24awg is 0.5mm, so anything in that range would be ideal, solid core if you must have 90 degree bends that hold their shape, the more forgiving, stranded with zip ties if a more fluid/organic set up is fine. PTFE/Teflon insulated is a bonus for either solid core or stranded.

And if going with the 90 degree bends get yourself a pair of conical tipped needle nose pliers, wide range of radii and not going to knick weaken the wire when you bend it. Bought mine at a craft store selling jewellery making supplies.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

burnt fingers

Quote from: davent on October 01, 2021, 09:20:55 AM
Quote from: burnt fingers on October 01, 2021, 05:32:18 AM
SCORE!

0.24mm  would be extremely tiny in terms of what we use, that would be ~31awg size, the bigger the number the smaller the wire.
22awg is 0.644mm, 24awg is 0.5mm, so anything in that range would be ideal, solid core if you must have 90 degree bends that hold their shape, the more forgiving, stranded with zip ties if a more fluid/organic set up is fine. PTFE/Teflon insulated is a bonus for either solid core or stranded.

And if going with the 90 degree bends get yourself a pair of conical tipped needle nose pliers, wide range of radii and not going to knick weaken the wire when you bend it. Bought mine at a craft store selling jewellery making supplies.

dave

Still trying to figure out what I want if I am honest. The 90 degree thing isn't major, more the rigidity of the wire. I have 22AWG right now and I am not really loving it. it's not hideous BUT, would prefer something a little more rigid!

Ta for the input, appreciate you taking the time!

I do need to go get some better tools this weekend...mine are a bit 'pants!'

Didn't like the first one, made another...Will eyeball later for any errors re parts, found 2 on the first board  :(

All a learning curve right?