Noob Attempts Pedal Build...Coloursound One Knob Fuzz Reissue...Now With Pics!

Started by burnt fingers, September 26, 2021, 07:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnt fingers

Do you mean the actual copper 'rails' or the lines in-between?
I clean the in-between stuff as I go, BUT will definitely do so at the 'end' just to make sure.
Thanks.
:)

Zerro

Yes I mean all gaps between copper traces. But at the end, I allways clean pcb with technical alcohol and laque all with laque from rosin in aceton or alcohol. It will protect all from corosion, wetness and undesired shortages in any danger.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

burnt fingers

Brilliant.
I will look into that...Is isopropyl good to use as a cleaner or is that what you meant by 'technical cleaner?'
Thanks again.

Zerro

Don't know isopropyl, this drink is not popular here. Use technical alcohol or aceton (nitrocel.). Alcohol is "softer", aceton is harder, look out not to etch plastic parts.

jimilee

Quote from: burnt fingers on September 28, 2021, 11:52:16 AM
Brilliant.
I will look into that...Is isopropyl good to use as a cleaner or is that what you meant by 'technical cleaner?'
Thanks again.
Yep, that will work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

burnt fingers

Question re the actual wire for the board etc.
I have always liked pedals and amps where the wire is quite stiff vs the general 'floppy' stuff I see many using.
Can someone 'educate' me re a good 'thickness' of wire so I can actually achieve this?
Thanks.

burnt fingers

Anyone?
I like the way older amps are laid out, the wires seem to be thicker, hold their shape better once 'bent' etc if that makes any sense?

As in the photograph...which makes me wonder if this is a solid core wire vs the multiple 'twist' ones I seem to have?
No idea...Help please.
:-[

burnt fingers

Might have answered my own question...

Looks like 0.24mm is the way to go, maybe even 0.26mm. Can anyone shed some light before I go ahead and order?
Thanks....UK Based remember  :)

Zerro

Insignificant detail. For that current that will flow here is not 0,02 mm diference important. Only when high current is here, you must find wire that will withstand it. Here is some mathematic rule about it, but I can't recall it. Try to look at web.

burnt fingers

Insignificant to you maybe, BUT, something I am asking about so... :)

It's an aesthetic thing to me and I have already looked on the web BUT, I will just make my own merry way then re the wire  ;D

jimilee

Quote from: burnt fingers on September 29, 2021, 08:14:36 AM
Insignificant to you maybe, BUT, something I am asking about so... :)

It's an aesthetic thing to me and I have already looked on the web BUT, I will just make my own merry way then re the wire  ;D

To answer you directly, the smaller the number the thicker the gauge, if I remember correctly. A thicker gauge will hold its shape better, but it will be more difficult to make 90 degree bends. in my opinion. Solid core wire will too, but it is more likely to break if you have to do a lot of troubleshooting, which adds to the frustration. I do like the neatness of it though. I get my wire from guitarpcb.com  most of the time. It's thin and very shapeable. It's a bonded core wire, so it doesn't break nearly as often.

In the game of DIY, it's all about what you like, I, along with the other mods, am happy to answer any question you may have. We all started out new like yourself. I, eventually realized I was overthinking it a lot. Hope this helps, good luck with your build.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

matmosphere

Pre-bonded wire holds it shape okay, but if you want to get the look you posted in that pic you should use solid core wire in stead of stranded. It is readily available, but in my experience it breaks more and is not as reliable. If you are using board mounted pots and working it is probably okay because things won't move around when you transport the pedal.

burnt fingers

Appreciate the answers...I do realise what I am looking at is perhaps 'overkill' for this stage but, I have a certain look in mind and want to achieve that sooner than later.
I had read that the solid wire was prone to cracking/breaking more often...
I will order some of the other type at 0.24mm and 0.26mm and see if I am being dumb re the wiring :)
I've used what I have to hand right now and being the impatient soul I am, I didn't wait for the 2 missing film caps to arrive  :P
I am EXTREMELY grateful to anyone who is kind enough to take the time to answer my 'idiotic' questions, truly!