Noob Attempts Pedal Build...Coloursound One Knob Fuzz Reissue...Now With Pics!

Started by burnt fingers, September 26, 2021, 07:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnt fingers

Rubbish week over, new tester arrived so I can triple check all parts before soldering to the board...

Onwards towards testing a populated board with wires(I have a breakout box)  :)

burnt fingers

Okay...onto the wiring from the board and then the breakout box testing of the one knobber.

Idiot question.

Do I have the lugs numbered correctly on the potentiometer in the picture? I have always been confused with the 'view' of the potentiometer...Think it is meant to be when inside the box?

jimilee

Quote from: burnt fingers on October 11, 2021, 10:06:42 AM
Okay...onto the wiring from the board and then the breakout box testing of the one knobber.

Idiot question.

Do I have the lugs numbered correctly on the potentiometer in the picture? I have always been confused with the 'view' of the potentiometer...Think it is meant to be when inside the box?
If that's the view from the bottom of the pot, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

burnt fingers

Guess that was my question....In the ORIGINAL schematic provided, I am assuming that is the view from below....how do you know for sure? OR is the assumption that all pots shown are 'in' the enclosure and therefore can only be viewed one way, IE from below....

I am guessing the view is from below based on the way it is drawn(that is why I numbered it the way I did) AND this reference from Beavis Audio seems to suggest the same, to my little mind. Am I wrong?

Appreciate it! This has always confused the hell out of me...pretty sure I have driven myself nuts before with this!
:-\

NorthCoast

Quote from: burnt fingers on October 11, 2021, 04:51:26 PM
Guess that was my question....In the ORIGINAL schematic provided, I am assuming that is the view from below....how do you know for sure? OR is the assumption that all pots shown are 'in' the enclosure and therefore can only be viewed one way, IE from below....

I am guessing the view is from below based on the way it is drawn(that is why I numbered it the way I did) AND this reference from Beavis Audio seems to suggest the same, to my little mind. Am I wrong?

Appreciate it! This has always confused the hell out of me...pretty sure I have driven myself nuts before with this!
:-\

I don't know if this will help or not, but manufactures actually specify which pin is which in the datasheets:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/13/alpha_taiwan_09042019_RV16AF-10-15R1-B(resistance_-1633894.pdf
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

jimilee

I usually just google the pin outs.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

burnt fingers

Guess I am not explaining this very well....will have a think and ask the question in a different way.

jimilee

Quote from: burnt fingers on October 12, 2021, 07:12:41 AM
Guess I am not explaining this very well....will have a think and ask the question in a different way.
How do you know for sure if you are looking at the top or the bottom? Honestly, if it isn't stated  through pre numbering, explanation or it's marked bottom, it's a guess. Your no layout is looking at the top of the board, so, I assume we're looking at the bottom of the pot because that's how it would look if it was boxed up.

burnt fingers

This is what I believe to be true....I went back and looked through a load of different diagrams, I can see how I got confused on some  :)

Okay....I am assuming the original schematic I am looking at shows a potentiometer mounted to the box and therefore, I am assuming the lugs are 3, 2 and 1 from top to bottom :)

HOPEFULLY that is correct.

burnt fingers

Based on the assumption being correct re the potentiometer being viewed from the back of the pot, I have wired it like this.

burnt fingers

Sadly, this passes signal when in bypass mode and does naff-all else when the effect is engaged.

Can anyone see anything that I've obviously done wrong?

burnt fingers

Back of the board...I thought I had been very careful BUT, I am guessing the initial suspect has to be something bridged?

I will try running a knife down in-between each copper rail.

NOT disheartened, just scratching my head a bit  :)

Appreciate any help at this point.

jimilee

Break out the audio probe and follow the input signal.

burnt fingers

One working, one not....Armed with lots of ace and very helpful info from Mr JL, I will go through the audio signal path this weekend on the one that is 'thumbing it's nose at me'...once I have built myself an audio probe/tried the breakout box hack as suggested by Mr JL  ;)

Also decided to order one of these bad boys, seeing as I do not have a looper or an audio generator.

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Ultra_Tester/p847124_15700704.aspx

burnt fingers

This arrived and went together pretty easily...

Will be probing and looking at stuff tomorrow!!!