News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus 2022 build

Started by gordo, July 26, 2022, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This will require a full write up but just a note to say how impressive this beast is.  I let my 2015 go about a year after I built it, even though I've always liked MXRs.  This time around I spent ages fiddling with the clock and it makes all the difference in the world.  I'll note the cap value I used when I post a proper report but I believe it was in the 39pF range which gave me an ideal 40Hz to 1MHz sweep.  It's way closer to the original and although it has the gggggkkkkk at the bottom of the sweep (which some folks hate) so did the original and is really only at heavy regen levels.  Between this and the Tourbus I seem to be on a bit of an analog renaissance.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

I look forward to seeing your finished pedal. I still have my 2015 version and find It best at the "unchained" sound. I might have to go back and tweak mine after reading your write up.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

So it ended up being a 33pF cap on the clock.  I had to check it about 10 times because it dropped right in the sweet spot and my luck never puts me there.  This build has taught me to pay more attention to the clock than I normally would.  I always assume if it works, it's good.  Nay, Nay.

I used a Tayda olive green enclosure for this one.  I must have had something in mind when I ordered this turd but it worked out quite well.  I went with my original artwork from the previous version and traced it into the laser software (Lightburn) and redid the text to something a bit more interesting.  I'm quite happy with how the contrast worked out from the burn and although it's pretty simple stuff I think it does the pedal justice.  I have to admit that when lasered graphics are done there's no farting around with decals and clearcoats and such.

I love this pedal.  If you've built the previous version there is perhaps a bit of noise reduction to be had but as previously mentioned the flexibilty and attention to the clock made this one a complete winner for me.  It's still not the SAD1024 variant but it's so damn close that I can just retire the notion that I'll get any closer.  It has that nice rip at the bottom of the sweep without being overly obnoxious and the detail in the high end is stellar.  This is one of those effects that most of the detail is in the mid position of the pots.

I've yet to try a charge pump solution to the 18v bit and since I have an 18v port available it's a bit of a moot point but I'll give it a shot.  I'd like to keep all my live rig stuff at a non-weird voltage.  Still, this is cool enough that I'll make an exception to be able to use it.  This one would DEFINITELY go into the front of the amp to make use of the cool details that the original had.  Digital flangers excel in the back end but analogs just kill out front.  Keep it post compression too to make use of the dynamics of the sweep.

As Jimi would say "too many words" so lets get to the pics:

Gordy Power

Betty Wont

Awesome build. My story is exactly the same as yours in regards to the Colossus. I'm so happy for the 2022 version and to have this killer effect back in my stash.

Bio77

Killer build, Gordo!  I'm with you on the 18V thing.  I've made my piece with it and am planning to have some 18V ports on my board.  With Bean and Lectric's new 18Vs coming out, I just have to bite the bullet.

I have an idea to mount my polytuner in a 125B (stole this from Dawson). Then I'm planning to use the extra space to regulate an 18V adaptor down to a bunch 9V ports and 2 18V ports.  Seems like it might work but I haven't calculated the current draw.   

jimilee

That looks great! I'm happy I'm such a big part of your lives....words words words, bring on the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Turned out great Gordo, love the enclosure and the inside is super clean!
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

Stellar build my friend!  I've been trying to talk myself out of building this one for a couple of weeks now but, y'alls build reports keep drawing me back in.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

zombie_rock123

This looks outstanding, huge fan of the box design and flawless lasering!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

gordo

I think the bottom line on this one is that it doesn't reinvent the wheel.  It just makes glaringly obvious what I missed the first time around.  To the point where I'm really rethinking a lot of my analog delay builds.

I also seem to have hit a sweet spot with the laser and powdercoat.  Every situation is different but I'm finding as long as I don't get too carried away and make the edges all fuzzy I go after the engrave with a toothbrush, a bit of elbow grease, and either dish soap (the brand they wash ducks with) or Dawn Power wash.  If you're doing it right you get a strong sulfer smell while cleaning it and I'm able to get down to the bare aluminum.  I do a test shot on the enclosure bottom and tweak it from there.
Gordy Power