News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Evening Sun MC6: Programmable Midi Controller

Started by Marshall Arts, September 29, 2021, 07:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

(updated message to represent the functions implemented in the current version)

I have build a MIDI controller to control my HX Stomp. I call it the "Evening Sun MC6" ;-)

• 6 Buttons
  • 4-line display
  • arduino-based
  • programmable

Components required:

• Display: HD44780 LCD (4 lines, 20 collumns)
  • Enclosure: Hammond 1590 XX
  • 6 Soft Switches (momentary)
  • Arduino Nano
  • No addional PCB required

Total costs for these are below 50 €.

Features:

• Programmable: Less easy than e.g. a Morningstar MC6, so no web editor. Changes have to be done in the arduino code (via USB), but the structure of the code is really easy to understand.
  • Five modes/banks for various combinations of button functions. It can easily be changed by users to provide more banks, if required.
  • Everything is customizable, including the display text (and of course the midi messages)
  • Unlimited number of Midi Messages with each footpress (only limited by the default memory of the arduino, which should be more than sufficient)
  • Two functions per button: Single click and Longpress
  • Optional (series) of Midi Messages to be send when a new bank is selected, e.g. to activate a specific preset on the target device(s).

gordo

You're back!!  I'm totally onboard.  I'd also like to get my hands on a few of your Clapton boost boards as well if you still have any kicking about.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Marshall Arts

It's coming together nicely. Got a 2 line display working, waiting on a 4-line LCD-Display for more comfort. Midi is working as well. Here is a preview of two banks I programmed as a proof of concept:

Each of the six buttons can be clicked or pressed long and will trigger midi events (or a series of midi events). There will also be a (series of) midi events fired when a bank is changed.

Marshall Arts

Enclosure preview:

Not sure where I will put the Arduino itself and how to attach it to the enclosure. I would like to make the USB-Port of the arduino accessible from the outside for Program upload, so there will be another hole on one of the sides or the front.

Marshall Arts

It's done and it's working great! Besides the Arduino Nano and the LCD Display, there's only two resistors, six switches, a Midi Jack and a power jack - that being said, I decided to build this without any additional PCB. The wiring can be found below. I will wrap up the code and put it on github later this week. As a special bonus, I will provide the 3D-printed parts (the Nano holder, so you have access to its USB port and the display pcb standoffs/distance tubes).

If you build this, make sure you have some 2.5 mm nuts and bolts available (I bought this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075WY5367/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Video, please excuse my bad English:

mjg

Very cool! 

I guess for extra credit you could use an LCD a with an RGB backlight, and have the display change colour depending on the mode.

gordo

English is better than mine and it's my native tongue.  My wife accuses me of mumbling...

Damn, everytime I build one of your projects it drags me back to the fact that I want an HX Stomp.  I just don't want to pay for it :-)

This project might be the tipping point...
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

Quote from: gordo on October 18, 2021, 04:53:03 PM
English is better than mine and it's my native tongue.  My wife accuses me of mumbling...

Damn, everytime I build one of your projects it drags me back to the fact that I want an HX Stomp.  I just don't want to pay for it :-)

This project might be the tipping point...

Thanks... You SHOULD get one... Mine goes straight into the return jack of an Engl Ironball. I dont miss the amp's preamp, and that means something...

Here ist the new setup:

gordo

That's too cool.  Have you used it direct to front of house?  I'm already using in-ear monitors so it wouldn't be a drastic change to not "feel" the cabinet.
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

Quote from: gordo on October 19, 2021, 05:51:54 AM
That's too cool.  Have you used it direct to front of house?  I'm already using in-ear monitors so it wouldn't be a drastic change to not "feel" the cabinet.

No, I am still kinda oldschool in terms of "feel". I read that Steve Stevens is using wazacraft cab sims on stage now, so maybe it's time for me to think about in-ears and cab sims as well....

Marshall Arts

I wrapped this up for my live rig:

I will most likely stick with the configuration in bank one (3 Snapshots on the bottom row (buttons D-F), scroll HX presets up/down (buttons A/B) on the top row and a solo boost (Button C). This means, I will not change the code over in the near future, but document it well enough for everyone else to adjust it to their preferences. You can find it here:

https://github.com/mfunky/Evening-Sun-MC6

Dont hesitate to ask questions, if you have trouble getting into it.

ronnyxavier

hello good afternoon sorry for the english...
I can change it to use a 2-line and 16-column display or will I have to buy a 4-line and 20-column display, could someone help me I don't understand much about arduino I'm a beginner