Author Topic: Evening Sun MC6: Programmable Midi Controller  (Read 1144 times)

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
Evening Sun MC6: Programmable Midi Controller
« on: September 29, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
(updated message to represent the functions implemented in the current version)

I have build a MIDI controller to control my HX Stomp. I call it the "Evening Sun MC6" ;-)

• 6 Buttons
  • 4-line display
  • arduino-based
  • programmable

Components required:
  • Display: HD44780 LCD (4 lines, 20 collumns)
  • Enclosure: Hammond 1590 XX
  • 6 Soft Switches (momentary)
  • Arduino Nano
  • No addional PCB required

Total costs for these are below 50 .

Features:
  • Programmable: Less easy than e.g. a Morningstar MC6, so no web editor. Changes have to be done in the arduino code (via USB), but the structure of the code is really easy to understand.
  • Five modes/banks for various combinations of button functions. It can easily be changed by users to provide more banks, if required.
  • Everything is customizable, including the display text (and of course the midi messages)
  • Unlimited number of Midi Messages with each footpress (only limited by the default memory of the arduino, which should be more than sufficient)
  • Two functions per button: Single click and Longpress
  • Optional (series) of Midi Messages to be send when a new bank is selected, e.g. to activate a specific preset on the target device(s).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:01:42 AM by Marshall Arts »

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
Re: Programmable 6-Switch Midi Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 05:05:02 PM »
You're back!!  I'm totally onboard.  I'd also like to get my hands on a few of your Clapton boost boards as well if you still have any kicking about.
Gordy Power
Vaxed, boosted, ready to rock...

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 02:15:50 AM »
It's coming together nicely. Got a 2 line display working, waiting on a 4-line LCD-Display for more comfort. Midi is working as well. Here is a preview of two banks I programmed as a proof of concept:

Each of the six buttons can be clicked or pressed long and will trigger midi events (or a series of midi events). There will also be a (series of) midi events fired when a bank is changed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 02:17:48 AM by Marshall Arts »

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 02:30:27 AM »
Enclosure preview:

Not sure where I will put the Arduino itself and how to attach it to the enclosure. I would like to make the USB-Port of the arduino accessible from the outside for Program upload, so there will be another hole on one of the sides or the front.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:41:07 AM by Marshall Arts »

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:34:13 AM »
It's done and it's working great! Besides the Arduino Nano and the LCD Display, there's only two resistors, six switches, a Midi Jack and a power jack - that being said, I decided to build this without any additional PCB. The wiring can be found below. I will wrap up the code and put it on github later this week. As a special bonus, I will provide the 3D-printed parts (the Nano holder, so you have access to its USB port and the display pcb standoffs/distance tubes).

If you build this, make sure you have some 2.5 mm nuts and bolts available (I bought this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075WY5367/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Video, please excuse my bad English:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 05:39:53 AM by Marshall Arts »

mjg

• Electron Doctor
  • Matt
    • View Profile
    • My pedal blog
Re: Evening Sun MC6: Programmable Midi Controller
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 02:43:09 PM »
Very cool! 

I guess for extra credit you could use an LCD a with an RGB backlight, and have the display change colour depending on the mode.

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 05:53:03 PM »
English is better than mine and it's my native tongue.  My wife accuses me of mumbling...

Damn, everytime I build one of your projects it drags me back to the fact that I want an HX Stomp.  I just don't want to pay for it :-)

This project might be the tipping point...
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 02:59:45 AM »
English is better than mine and it's my native tongue.  My wife accuses me of mumbling...

Damn, everytime I build one of your projects it drags me back to the fact that I want an HX Stomp.  I just don't want to pay for it :-)

This project might be the tipping point...

Thanks... You SHOULD get one... Mine goes straight into the return jack of an Engl Ironball. I dont miss the amp's preamp, and that means something...

Here ist the new setup:

gordo

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • Project Website
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 06:51:54 AM »
That's too cool.  Have you used it direct to front of house?  I'm already using in-ear monitors so it wouldn't be a drastic change to not "feel" the cabinet.
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
That's too cool.  Have you used it direct to front of house?  I'm already using in-ear monitors so it wouldn't be a drastic change to not "feel" the cabinet.

No, I am still kinda oldschool in terms of "feel". I read that Steve Stevens is using wazacraft cab sims on stage now, so maybe it's time for me to think about in-ears and cab sims as well....

Marshall Arts

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 03:47:44 AM »
I wrapped this up for my live rig:

I will most likely stick with the configuration in bank one (3 Snapshots on the bottom row (buttons D-F), scroll HX presets up/down (buttons A/B) on the top row and a solo boost (Button C). This means, I will not change the code over in the near future, but document it well enough for everyone else to adjust it to their preferences. You can find it here:

https://github.com/mfunky/Evening-Sun-MC6

Dont hesitate to ask questions, if you have trouble getting into it.

ronnyxavier

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 07:43:42 PM »

hello good afternoon sorry for the english...
I can change it to use a 2-line and 16-column display or will I have to buy a 4-line and 20-column display, could someone help me I don't understand much about arduino I'm a beginner