News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to increase volume output on Violenzz and LETFA builds

Started by Mr.H, October 12, 2021, 07:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.H

Last year I built the LETFA  and Violenzz builds and they came out good.  The problem I have with them is the volume output is quite low.  The effects sound good. I just can't quite hear them loud enough.  I double-checked all the values and everything seems correct.  Not sure if swapping components with different values or increasing the Pot values will make a difference. Just don't want a bandaid resolution, if I can avoid it... Please advise.

madbean

You can increase the output of the Violenzz by using a larger value for R6 (up to 1k). You may need to adjust T1 slightly after doing so.
For the LETFA, you can choose clipping diodes with a higher Vf, like 1n914. That will result in less compression when the clipping is dialed in.

Mr.H

The resistor value changed worked like a charm!  Thank you.

Changing the diodes in the LETFA was not successful.  I tried 1n914, BAS33, MA150, and LEDs, but nothing helped on that.  Oh well.

Zerro

You can simply add still another diodes to clipping part. Experiment with this. This will give sufficient output cca 4V RMS.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

midwayfair

Quote from: Mr.H on October 31, 2021, 03:08:20 PM
The resistor value changed worked like a charm!  Thank you.

Changing the diodes in the LETFA was not successful.  I tried 1n914, BAS33, MA150, and LEDs, but nothing helped on that.  Oh well.

Even the LEDs didn't help?

There might be something wrong with your build or something else involved. The 1n914 should have doubled your output. Red LEDs should have 5 times the output. The output signal goes from being clamped to .3V with schotkey or .6v with 1n914 to 1.6V with a red LED or 2V with green (or 3V with blue, but by then you probably aren't hearing any distortion).

Zerro

Maybe output is so weak, that only first stage makes some distortion (if any) but at second is only some spoiled rest, that no diode can clip. What are DC voltages at collectors?

midwayfair

Quote from: Zerro on October 31, 2021, 05:16:53 PM
Maybe output is so weak, that only first stage makes some distortion (if any) but at second is only some spoiled rest, that no diode can clip. What are DC voltages at collectors?

Putting in my bet now that R6 is wrong.

Mr.H

Thanks for the replies... will be doing some more homework on this and get back to everyone

Zerro

Test all power supply points including those collectors.