News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Minuteman Delay (Dead Astronaut Abductor Delay)

Started by Timko, October 13, 2021, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

After some time away from pedal building to enjoy the winter months and my other hobby (disc golf), I got back in the saddle over the past couple of months to finish this.  The previous owner of my house is a pedal steel player, and after a series of odd coincidences, we met each other for the first time last year after he sold me my house 8 years ago.  He was interested in my pedals, and I said I'd build him something since we are both in the alumni of owners of this house and musicians :).  He wanted a delay, and after lending him half a dozen that I had built, we landed on the Abductor Delay from Dead Astronaut.  The pedal construction was pretty straight forward for me (I've built both Sagans, the Multiplex, and a few other PT2399 designs), but the off board wiring was a chore.  Thank goodness for ribbon cable!

This particular musician also photographs decommissioned ICBM sites in the midwest, and he wanted a military aesthetic for it.  In fact, we probably spent more time going back and forth on the enclosure design than I did actually building it.  The combination of the color, simple text, and those fantastic Neve console knobs from BLMS really knocked this one out of the park.  I ordered an extra board, and based on my experience with it so far, I'll be building one of these for myself.  They're a lot of fun if you like ambient delay.

I have 2 other projects in flight now and plan to try my hand at an EAGLE layout on a rework on an original(ish) design I did.  Let the fall/winter build commence!

Bio77

Wow!  That is absolutely gorgeous!  I love the dot indicators under the Neve knobs.   8)

I've never heard of this circuit before.  If you have more information to share with a fellow 2399 fan, I'd appreciate it. Did you do the layout for the PCB?

Timko

Quote from: Bio77 on October 13, 2021, 10:56:32 AM
Wow!  That is absolutely gorgeous!  I love the dot indicators under the Neve knobs.   8)

I've never heard of this circuit before.  If you have more information to share with a fellow 2399 fan, I'd appreciate it. Did you do the layout for the PCB?

I wish I did this layout!  You can actually find it here:
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects/abductor-delay-ii

jimilee

Nice job man! I built two of these, the first was while it was still kicking around. It was on an etched board. I got a fab board after he started selling fabbed boards. It's a really neat delay. The video he did with it is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.