News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

All valve amp hissing after new tubes

Started by redkurn, October 18, 2021, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

So my v3 tube started to fail Saturday, I went out bought a full set from a local shop, same price as tube depot which is cool.

Installed it and all was well, today I installed the rest and now I have no gain or overdrive and hissing white noise that gets louder with volume and even louder with gain, Guitar signal sounds like a loud clean.

I'm wondering if reseating v1, v2, v4 and the pre's would possibly solve it or if I have a bad gain tube in v1 or v2 or if pre's can cause this.

V4 is a phase inverter.

jimilee

Check for bent pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

redkurn

Quote from: jimilee on October 18, 2021, 01:06:59 PM
Check for bent pins?

I'll look out for that when I get home, they were all straight when I installed them and I carefully rocked them into place like videos show.

jimilee

Quote from: redkurn on October 18, 2021, 01:21:08 PM
Quote from: jimilee on October 18, 2021, 01:06:59 PM
Check for bent pins?

I'll look out for that when I get home, they were all straight when I installed them and I carefully rocked them into place like videos show.
That may not be it, but it happens.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

You said that your amp started to fail, so you had to change tubes. What fail it was?
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

redkurn

Quote from: Zerro on October 18, 2021, 01:59:06 PM
You said that your amp started to fail, so you had to change tubes. What fail it was?
Fx loop tube started to fail, volume drop.
Was fine after replacement.

Zerro

Gradually exchange all valves with farmer functional ones to find where hapenned fail. If possible. That's start.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

gordo

Like Zerro says, go back to the original tubes and make sure the problem is solved.  Then start replacing one at a time.  It's always possible that one of your new tubes is pooched.  Rarely happens but not impossible.  As Jimi mentioned it could be either a bent pin or a loose tube socket.

What amp is it?  It's possible that a solder joint got knocked loose if the sockets are board mounted.  You wiggle the tube in to take the pressure off of the pins and you work a solder joint loose.

Ah the pleasures of tube amps...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

redkurn

Quote from: gordo on October 18, 2021, 04:47:50 PM
Like Zerro says, go back to the original tubes and make sure the problem is solved.  Then start replacing one at a time.  It's always possible that one of your new tubes is pooched.  Rarely happens but not impossible.  As Jimi mentioned it could be either a bent pin or a loose tube socket.

What amp is it?  It's possible that a solder joint got knocked loose if the sockets are board mounted.  You wiggle the tube in to take the pressure off of the pins and you work a solder joint loose.

Ah the pleasures of tube amps...

Dark terror, if a joint is loose I can fix that.

I planned on doing one at a time until it was normal, I suspect V2 or V3 honestly since it's the dirt not functioning.

Well, I put v1-v4 back to before I replaced v3 (fx loop) all that remains are the EL84.
I suppose I'll have to try one at a time and see what happens, put the old one in on one side and leave the new and then reverse it to see if it is one or both.

If it continues then I'm at a loss. The only other thing I did this morning was pull the fuse for mains, to check the spare was there and it was good.

I'd hate to need to take it in to a shop, but if it continues in a moment I might have to.

I looked down and noticed a pedal I've been working on is causing the issue. Some how when it is on and unplugged from other sources it can send and receive the guitar signal, it shouldn't since the switch controls the flow. Switched it to bypass and it's fine, no noise, have gain on old tubes, so new should be fine and it's my own fault. Maybe a cat stepped on it and toggled it and since it is passive no led.

Double checked my former a/b now pedal true bypass box and there is nothing electrically wrong with it, but maybe with the wires being so close on the mini toggle switch I am getting cross talk wirelessly.
Well guess I need to solve that since the amp is fine and I'm an idiot learning to not be an idiot. XD

Box
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0alylUi8ZtFidtj-3ugDR8CJg
Diagram
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UNQDkzD0eEo8KPumZ5FUyJsw

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

redkurn

Quote from: gordo on October 19, 2021, 05:57:19 AM
Welcome to my world  :P

Thanks, seems like a party  ;D

Being the switch is small, I wonder if shielded wire would help and if I would only need to install for the jumper or if it is a grounding issue since all jacks are grounding to the same point?