News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone using Laser Print Waterslide decals?

Started by Beedoola, August 28, 2014, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I had heard/read before that you couldn't use inkjet waterslides with laser printers so I googled again to clarify and saw that manufactures make laser WSD. I wanted to know if anyone uses them and your experience with them?

I always used the inkjet cause my home printer is inkjet but my printer is shitty and I was never 100% satisfied with the results. I figured I could get the laser paper and just have Kinkos print them for me.

Thoughts?

chromesphere

LaserJet is definitely the way to go.  Infact if you have a color laserjet YOU ARE SET.  The main reason is that laserjet decals don't require the extra coating of clear laquer so you don't end up with a rim around the outside of the decal when its done.  Alas...unless its a black & white decal, you need a color laserjet :(
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Beedoola

Quote from: chromesphere on August 28, 2014, 04:53:41 PM
LaserJet is definitely the way to go.  Infact if you have a color laserjet YOU ARE SET.  The main reason is that laserjet decals don't require the extra coating of clear laquer so you don't end up with a rim around the outside of the decal when its done.  Alas...unless its a black & white decal, you need a color laserjet :(

Thanks for the quick reply!

Like I mentioned, I was thinking of just purchasing the paper, getting the file(s) I have set up right - size and position on paper, and then just taking the file(s) on my junk drive to Kinkos and have them print it on my paper.

I'm not sure what they're charge given that I bring my own paper, but I bet probably what they charge for regular paper printouts: $.15 a page. And since I'm not building pedals constantly, thats the better option then buying a laser printer.

Awesome about not needing the acrylic coating too!

selfdestroyer

I agree also, I used to do waterslides on a color laser at work and it worked perfectly.

Cody

Beedoola

How long do you usually wait after printing before applying them?

jimilee

Quote from: Beedoola on August 28, 2014, 05:11:46 PM
How long do you usually wait after printing before applying them?
I use laser with waterslide too (both white waterslide and clear waterslide.) I still use a coat of clear krylon to keep my goofy self from smudging the decal. I let it dry for about 10 minutes and then let her rip. 1 thing that I do is soak the enclosure in the same temperature water as the decal, usually luke warm, too hot and it stretches. I found that if I didn't do that, the decal tends to wrinkle. After everything is said and done, I let everything dry for at least 8 hours.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

You may run into an issue with a commercial enterprise not wanting to run some unknown paper through their money generating printer. The other issue would be that if you do find someone to print, i think you'd be commited to running a whole sheet at one time where if you control/own the printer you can use as little of the decal paper as you want, just exactly what you need to get the job done. Burning through whole sheets every go will add up pretty fast, screw up a small decal back to the printer for another whole sheet.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mgwhit

I've had my local Kinkos do color laser waterslides on my own paper for me a couple of times.  I intentionally go late at night when I don't think they're going to be terribly busy and I tell them to use a printer that hasn't been running recently.  I've heard really hot printers can cause the film to stick to the drum, and I'd rather not destroy anything expensive.

The Staples near me has a "if we don't sell it, we won't print on it " policy.  Probably a wise move.

I do b&w on an HP LJ P1102w and I've never had a problem with it.

Beedoola

twin1965

Before I bought a laser printer I used to take the decals to work and print in monochrome. It was a Ricoh printer and was fantastic. They changed it and the new one's not as good.

I used several printing shops (I'm in the UK) withour much success. Their printers are set up for different types of paper and I ruined quite a few decals. Some places didn't want to risk it.

I bought a Samsung colour Laser printer and so far so good. The prices on these things are getting cheaper by the day!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Al Eisden

I used inkjet to start off with but unless you apply a good 3 light coats of acrylic the ink's going to run and it also has a transparent affect on polished metal (I assume because the ink is liquid and obviously the laser is toner)
Colour Laser printers definitely get quicker and more professional results. The ink equivalent print just looks washed out and fades compared to a good toner job.
Laser Waterslide decals are easily available on EBAY and the like, just make sure you use them according to printer specs required as they AREN'T interchangeable.

Hope that helps to some degree

Stomptown

Quote from: Beedoola on August 28, 2014, 04:57:08 PM
Quote from: chromesphere on August 28, 2014, 04:53:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Like I mentioned, I was thinking of just purchasing the paper, getting the file(s) I have set up right - size and position on paper, and then just taking the file(s) on my junk drive to Kinkos and have them print it on my paper.

I'm not sure what they're charge given that I bring my own paper, but I bet probably what they charge for regular paper printouts: $.15 a page. And since I'm not building pedals constantly, thats the better option then buying a laser printer.

Awesome about not needing the acrylic coating too!

Make sure not to mention that the paper is waterslide decal if you take it to kinkos or elsewhere.  Most likely they wont care but I was turned down once after they claimed it could void their warranty.  Just say its cardstock and your safe!

Kevin Pat

I've got a $200 Canon laser printer. I am able to make decals in standard colors, white, gold, silver, and a few colored chrome tones. The printer CAN NOT print these "special" colors right out of the box but with a little research, you can do quite a bit.
Learn the best 3D printing tips on https://printerdeets.com/ to get yourself expert in this advanced technology.