News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Non-polar vs Bi-polar caps (naughty fish and florist)

Started by harryklippton, October 27, 2021, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

The florist calls for a 2u2 bi-polar cap and the naughty fish calls for a 2u2 non-polar cap. Are these the same or different? The florist build doc has a mouser link for the cap but the naughty fish doesn't. Thanks

madbean

BiPolar and NonPolarized are the same thing by two different names. You see them used interchangeably. I think most manufacturers use Non-Polarized so I should probably just start using that. I guess I like words with fewer syllables.

harryklippton

Zerro

And what's then difference between uni-polar and bi-polar caps? Aren't bi-polar capacitors with plus and minus poles? In compare with non-polarized or non-polar?
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

madbean

Quote from: Zerro on October 27, 2021, 02:15:24 PM
And what's then difference between uni-polar and bi-polar caps? Aren't bi-polar capacitors with plus and minus poles? In compare with non-polarized or non-polar?

Here's the wiki:
Special bipolar aluminum electrolytic capacitors designed for bipolar operation are available, and usually referred to as "non-polarized" or "bipolar" types. In these, the capacitors have two anode foils with full-thickness oxide layers connected in reverse polarity. On the alternate halves of the AC cycles, one of the oxides on the foil acts as a blocking dielectric, preventing reverse current from damaging the electrolyte of the other one. But these bipolar electrolytic capacitors are not suitable for main AC applications instead of power capacitors with metallized polymer film or paper dielectric.

Zerro

Thank you! Now I see what you want to say. Polarized caps made connected by special way, making no-polarized caps with high capacity! Not for mean apps in audio but usefull for theit little sizes. They are very similar to common elyts but little larger.

Aentons

I saw that trick not too long ago of using two back to back regular polarized caps to substitute as a bi-polar one (I think) on the General Guitar Gadgets site. It comes in very handy if you don't have the right part

Edit: yep, it was used in the direct box schematic
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/direct/direct-box-active/

Zerro

Honestly, uni-polar (non-polarized) caps with capacity around 10uF are very large. I saw them mostly in repro-box crossovers - space enough. But in audio constructions is not necessairy to use them - mostly you can build your audiosystem without such a big uni-polar caps.