News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multiwave MEGA

Started by Gearomatic, October 31, 2021, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearomatic

Another one I made in the last month or so:

First time I have done a kit instead of sourcing it all myself. I liked not having to fuss around with mouser for hours, but I didn't like the quality of some of the parts. (Do people share mouser BOM's for projects?)
If you look at some of the other pictures you will see I replaced the push buttons. Also they drilled the led hole off center? haha.

Getting the little screen up and running was great, no sweat. May be something cool to pop into another project if i think it warrants it? Although it does say the name of the pedal when it boots.
I thought it would be better to put it on a header instead of direct soldering it, but the header likes to scoot out if you bang the box around a bit. Thankfully you can give the wires going under a little tug and it reseats.

I think I need to work on making the insides cleaner, amongst other things.
I stripped the plastic dc jack, ended up with some of the IC's in backwards. Figured that out while troubleshooting. Replaced them just in case.
Learning that the Etching compound for the laser needs to be applied pretty thin, otherwise you end up with the spottyness you see in that last image. But it gets the point across.
I also missed the "Mode" label above the rate pot. Didnt realize for a few days so that was a pain to get back in position in the laser. I forgot to take new pictures after I added that.

As with last time, I streamed the soldering of the board live:
Part 01: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YE3xN_rL8
Part 02: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZzlua2S4ak

matmosphere

Awesome looking build! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the kit and what parts did you have reservations about? Did the kit include the screen, or did you add that yourself?

Gearomatic

It is available as a PCB or a Kit. I will say the standard post shipping took forever to get the kit to the US from Germany, but you get what you pay for.

The push buttons specifically were giving me issues, and ended up melting pretty easily as I was reflowing some joints during troubleshooting. Could have been me being heavy handed I suppose, but the ones I replaced them with seemed to hold up better. Otherwise the rest of it was basically fine.

The kid did not include the screen or the support components to run it. Hardest part was flashing the IC, but that only took 10 or so min of browsing some guides to do (I have some intermediate knowledge with Arduino so that helped for sure). The build docs list the additional hardware you need for the Screen, and the Hex file is available on the Multiwave MEGA Parasit page.
I also shelled out a few $ for the drilled out enclosure, and they don't make the window for the screen, which is to be expected since its not part of the kit.

matmosphere

Cool, thanks for the info. I was thinking of ordering from there but when I saw this post I wondered if you had found a kit elsewhere that included the screen. I've got a lot of stuff in the cue, but I should really add this one in. Fredrick's stuff has never disappointed.

Bio77

That looks great!  Is that an etch on the inside of the enclosure?

Gearomatic

It is! I did the same on the MiniMu I did a few months ago.
Nice reminder for anyone who is going inside of it, instantly know how to adjust it and why.

Timko

Because I'm in the middle of troubleshooting an issue I'm having with this build now, did you notice a massive change in volume when the VCF is on/off?  Like a difference between 9:00 and 1:00 on the volume control?

Looks great by the way!!

Timko

Also, I noticed you had a bridge on your resonance control.  What's the purpose of that?

Gearomatic

I Lifted the pad while troubleshooting,  ;D

But they are connected anyway, so it was an easy fix.

I also had a weird issue where the ground throughole for the LED just wasn't feeling it, had to add a jumper.

I didn't notice any crazy volume jumps, but this pedal was sent to somebody so I cant check that unfortunately

LaceSensor