News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blenders - suggestions

Started by madbean, October 27, 2021, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Not what the title leads you to believe. With the release of the VFE DragonHound coming this week I started thinking a bit about blended circuits. The DragonHound puts the AlphaDog and PaleHorse in one box and lets you blend them in parallel (with the tone and level being shared by both). I've thought about this concept on and off for a few years but never really went anywhere with it. But, the DragonHound sounds great so I want to start tackling some other possibilities.

The two that I've already started drawing up are pretty solid ideas: An OCD and Zendrive (both using mosfet clipping, one hard one soft) and two of my favorite boosters - the AMZ MiniBoost and Mosfet boost. The boost one goes further in that it lets you run them in series (both ways) AND parallel.

Any suggestions on other blender circuits you might like? This could be another category of offerings at mbp.

benny_profane

I like both of those ideas. I just built an SPS DragonHound and really like it. I've been thinking that it'd be cool to have a deluxe DragonHound: separate fat controls for each circuit, clipping diodes on the Rat, and the ability to run the Rat/TS in series as well as parallel. Maybe a reach, but changing the order would cool too.

Betty Wont

Two of my favorite circuits are parallel fuzz. The Spaceman Geminis 3&4, a silicon and germanium fuzz, and the DOD Punkifier, a fuzz and drive. They have pretty extreme tone controls that enhance the layers. I would love a parallel high gain distortion and octave down like the danelectro black licorice, but unshitty.

midwayfair

I've used this on a couple recordings. I made it for a PIFmas present a while back. It's basically a Big Muff with a clean blend, except that the clean blend is the compressor output, which is also the big muff's input stage.

jjjimi84

I would love to see an overdrive like the moar and the 4:1 compressor, i think that would be cool.

A delay and reverb would also make me extremely horny I mean wistful, wistful damn it!

madbean

Quote from: midwayfair on October 27, 2021, 08:42:17 PM
I've used this on a couple recordings. I made it for a PIFmas present a while back. It's basically a Big Muff with a clean blend, except that the clean blend is the compressor output, which is also the big muff's input stage.

Yeah, that is clever! It also makes me think about a distortion side with LED hard clippers which in turn optically trigger compression (as a low parts count hack).

Aentons

Why not just do the split/mix circuit so everyone can mix and match as they please?

benny_profane

Quote from: Aentons on October 28, 2021, 06:46:18 AM
Why not just do the split/mix circuit so everyone can mix and match as they please?
I'd say size and circuit interactivity are the two benefits to the DragonHound method instead of two discrete circuits with a mixer. The FAT control, for example, is a dual gang pot so each circuit is affected. As mentioned above, another possibility is the ability to use an envelope detection block in one circuit to change a parameter in the other.

jimilee

I'm not much of a fan of the rat but o would like a good crunchy overdrive and a distortion , soft clipping maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

The blueprint and bumblebee looked like a cool idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Quote from: benny_profane on October 28, 2021, 07:12:13 AM
I'd say size and circuit interactivity are the two benefits to the DragonHound method instead of two discrete circuits with a mixer. The FAT control, for example, is a dual gang pot so each circuit is affected. As mentioned above, another possibility is the ability to use an envelope detection block in one circuit to change a parameter in the other.
Its all about having the options for me. I agree size could be a factor for some, but there is a wide selection of 1590a size projects you could cram together in an 1590bb box with a blender and/or order switcher. Any circuit interactivity could potentially be as easy as adding an extra jumper wire.

That Fat control is not a great example because it requires the special order, 5 legged, reverse taper mini pot. My preference for that particular circuit would be to have separate controls, but others may not.

If we are talking about special paired circuits with interactivity that require parts beyond normal then sure, a dedicated pcb make a lot of sense.

madbean

Yeah I considered that too. I think I would also do a standalone switcher thing along with the blended circuit offerings. With the switcher, it would have some of the same options: series both ways and parallel. And, a phase correction switch if needed. It'd be really cool to add stereo output on top of that. I'll have to think a bit about it. I guess it starts to get in Klein Bottle territory with all that but maybe there is a simple version that would be useful.

benny_profane

Quote from: madbean on October 28, 2021, 08:11:35 AM

Yeah I considered that too. I think I would also do a standalone switcher thing along with the blended circuit offerings. With the switcher, it would have some of the same options: series both ways and parallel. And, a phase correction switch if needed. It'd be really cool to add stereo output on top of that. I'll have to think a bit about it. I guess it starts to get in Klein Bottle territory with all that but maybe there is a simple version that would be useful.

I think this is a great idea. As much as I like what the DragonHound is trying to accomplish, for a DIY build, I was left feeling a bit constrained by some of the design choices. (I know that may seem like a crazy thing to say about a VFE circuit!) If you're looking to have a "Blender" projects page, I think it makes sense to have both designed parallel circuits as well as a utility board that would allow the builder to combine circuits themselves. The series/parallel switch with order switching is a great addition.

benny_profane

Quote from: Aentons on October 28, 2021, 07:49:47 AM
That Fat control is not a great example because it requires the special order, 5 legged, reverse taper mini pot. My preference for that particular circuit would be to have separate controls, but others may not.
I don't disagree with you: that's actually an issue I have with that particular circuit. It's just an example of how parameters for both circuits can be unified to create a cohesive single unit. Note that that custom pot can be avoided with value scaling. E.g., the SPS version uses a dual C1K 16mm pot which is certainly able to be made DIY if you can't find it for sale. The circuit could also be further modified to accept a standard part.

jkokura

As a guy whose primary PCB sales are driven by a Test Rig and Parallel PCB tools - the key is found in an old RG-Keen article on blending. Most blend circuits I've seen don't actually blend. The good ones find a way to ground the circuit you blend out, to actually mix the two circuits accurately. That's the first thing I'd be reading if I were you Brian.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/panner.pdf

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals