Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blenders - suggestions

Started by madbean, October 27, 2021, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 16, 2021, 02:39:07 PM
Quote from: jimilee on November 15, 2021, 02:45:04 PM
Nice, I'd like to see more. I've asked around, and the OS2 was not very popular, but I'd like to judge for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OS-2 is amazing
Is it possible to build it without it being huge and overly complicated?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 02:42:32 PM
Nice, I'd like to see more. I've asked around, and the OS2 was not very popular, but I'd like to judge for myself.

The OS-2 is amazing

This doesn't look too bad

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on November 16, 2021, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 02:42:32 PM

The OS-2 is amazing

This doesn't look too bad

No, not at all. Is it safe to assume the vcc/2 is the vref at 4.5? I'm slowly learning my way. I'd really like to may a PCB from this. The transistors look like 2n5088s if I'm not mistaken.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 05:23:54 PM
No, not at all. Is it safe to assume the vcc/2 is the vref at 4.5? I'm slowly learning my way. I'd really like to may a PCB from this. The transistors look like 2n5088s if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, I believe vcc2 is the 4.5v vref

I got that schematic from here. There is some other info that may be useful

https://electric-safari.com/2018/10/05/boss-os-2-overdrive-distortion-mod

And this too
https://www.roboticbeast.com/modification-de-la-boss-os-2/

madbean

Yeah, the OS-2 looks cool. That schem is missing the input and output buffers, though. I did a quick and dirty re-draw. Might be a cool one to pursue.

Notes: C2 and R5 probably not necessary, but I left them in.

jimilee

Right, it said something about the flip flops and buffers were left out. I'm gonna have another look at this tomorrow. I'm seriously interested in laying it out on a board. Been practicing.

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 07:16:59 PM
Right, it said something about the flip flops and buffers were left out. I'm gonna have another look at this tomorrow. I'm seriously interested in laying it out on a board. Been practicing.

In this circuit the buffers will matter some. Esp. the JFET input. Without it, the input impedance of the two circuits is actually quite a bit lower than you typically would use. And the high pass filtering that results from them will have a bigger impact, I think. Not to say you couldn't tweak it to work fine without the input buffer, it'll just sound a little different.

You could probably get away without the output buffer but it's also so common to Boss there's really no reason not to use it.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on November 16, 2021, 07:53:30 PM
Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 07:16:59 PM

In this circuit the buffers will matter some. Esp. the JFET input. Without it, the input impedance of the two circuits is actually quite a bit lower than you typically would use. And the high pass filtering that results from them will have a bigger impact, I think. Not to say you couldn't tweak it to work fine without the input buffer, it'll just sound a little different.

You could probably get away without the output buffer but it's also so common to Boss there's really no reason not to use it.
I was thinking they would be a good idea. I'm glad you put it back in. Did the original have a order reversal switch, is that what the flip flop was?

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 07:56:34 PM
I was thinking they would be a good idea. I'm glad you put it back in. Did the original have a order reversal switch, is that what the flip flop was?

The flip flop is all about the bypass so it can be eliminated completely. Both circuits are run in parallel so there's no order switching. Not to say you couldn't dream up some switching scheme that puts them in series or parallel, etc. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how well the "blend" control works here since I've never tried the OS-2. There are other ways to do a parallel blend. You could even make a switching scheme where the dual gang pot changes function. For example, whether the gains work in parallel or inverted. So, when you turn the gain up of one circuit it turns down the gain of the other, etc.

But, that all gets really far away from the original. IOW, where DIY lives!

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on November 16, 2021, 08:15:29 PM
Quote from: jimilee on November 16, 2021, 07:56:34 PM

The flip flop is all about the bypass so it can be eliminated completely. Both circuits are run in parallel so there's no order switching. Not to say you couldn't dream up some switching scheme that puts them in series or parallel, etc. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how well the "blend" control works here since I've never tried the OS-2. There are other ways to do a parallel blend. You could even make a switching scheme where the dual gang pot changes function. For example, whether the gains work in parallel or inverted. So, when you turn the gain up of one circuit it turns down the gain of the other, etc.

But, that all gets really far away from the original. IOW, where DIY lives!
This is sounding like quite the drive, a moar better drive!

madbean

Quote from: madbean on November 16, 2021, 07:10:54 PM
Yeah, the OS-2 looks cool. That schem is missing the input and output buffers, though. I did a quick and dirty re-draw. Might be a cool one to pursue.

Mistake on my schem - R34 should be 1k, not "220n". However that happened...

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on November 17, 2021, 06:46:23 AM

Mistake on my schem - R34 should be 1k, not "220n". However that happened...
Bwahahahaha thanks man.

jimilee

I have a question about the schematic. What is Q1B doing, just hanging with Q1A?

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on November 19, 2021, 07:20:37 PM
I have a question about the schematic. What is Q1B doing, just hanging with Q1A?

It's the SMT version. So, you can populate either a through-hole or surface mount JFET. In light of JFETs being so expensive now I pretty much just use surface mount these days unless I have to use the other for some reason.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on November 19, 2021, 08:02:38 PM
Quote from: jimilee on November 19, 2021, 07:20:37 PM

It's the SMT version. So, you can populate either a through-hole or surface mount JFET. In light of JFETs being so expensive now I pretty much just use surface mount these days unless I have to use the other for some reason.
Yep, I've pretty much decided the same thing. As a matter of fact, I ordered some adapters for the boards that don't already accommodate them.