News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar purchase/brand opinions

Started by rjkanejr, December 15, 2011, 07:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjkanejr

Okay so I know this is a DIY pedal conversation board but, since we all play guitars through the pedals I thought I would get some opinions.  I am looking to spend a few (notice the word few) dollars to basically build a guitar.  Don't have the bread to buy an American tele or strat so I have been looking at Rondo SX teles and strats as well as the GFS Xaviere brand.  I keep reading good things online but wanted to post here to see if I could some good feedback.  Are the SX ad Xaviere worth buying.  If I get an SX I know I will probably upgrade tuners and pickups.  Maybe the same with the Xaviere, maybe not.  I know that the GFS pickups are the bomb, but have no hands on with any of their guitars.

I currently own a MIM strat (love it), an ESP EC-256 (love it), Schecter Omen-6 (love it), Schecter Deluxe 006 (it's OK), Jay Turser Deluxe tele.  The Jay sounds great but the neck has a lot to be desired.  The frets need to be bigger and there is a lot of fret buzz (I think it may be warped).  I am thinking about getting either an SX tele and upgrading tuners/pickups or Xaviere tele  (XV-820) and upgrading pickups.  So how about it people; anyone own or played any of these brands and what do you think about them.  Would you recommend them, stay clear of them, buy but definitely upgrade parts, what is the good the bad the ugly?

mjcyates

I had an SX strat and it was very nice for the money.

JakeFuzz

I usually pick up cheap MIM strats if they are a really good price. I've gone through many of them. The stock setup and fretwork is highly variable between each one. I usually re-level and crown the frets. After a proper setup, some new pickups and a bigger bridge block they sound and play really really nice. My main guitar is an MIM body with a Warmoth neck. Its worth it if you want to do the DIY thing. 

jkokura

What I would do us take that turser tele neck off and put a new neck on. It doesn't sound like you need another guitar, but you may want to improve the ones you have.

I'm in the middle I both a parts tele and parts tele projects, and the neck is by far the most important part. I bet that tele you have would be fine.

As for experience, I wouldn't touch the Xaviere or SX stuff personally, but I've not tried them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

You could go with a Squier Classic Vibe series tele or strat. These are good guitars for the money after a good setup. The pickups are pretty good. Go to www.tdpri.com and read up. There is a lot of love for the CV's there.

That being said, you might want to look local and find a used MIM tele or strat on the cheap. Like Jakefuzz stated, most MIM are good platforms to upgrade into great guitars. A fella near me is selling a MIM tele for $250 OBO. good deals to be had.

keysandguitars

I don't have experience with the brands you're looking at. I can second Jacob's recommendation of improving what you have. I'd take a good look at Warmoth's vintage modern tele necks. I've played a few warmoth's with this neck and was very impressed the the quality and the finish. You'll probably want to have the frets dressed, but other than that, they're great necks.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

glowsheep

Best bang for your buck - check pawnshops for older peavey Reactors (tele) or Predators (strat) you can pick them up cheap and they are very well american made guitars. I got a Reactor for $135, stock is pretty good but I'd like to change out tuners, saddles, nut and pick ups.

madbean

Damn I sure do miss my old Peavey. My first guitar!

rjkanejr

Thanks for all the input thus far.  Anyone else?  I am leaning towards replacing the neck on the tele, but the question is will a replacement fit.  I am not sure what size the neck pocket on this thing is but I know the body is solid wood. 

So does anyone have any love for the GFS pickups?  Anyone replace their pickups with GFS?  If so what have you used, what do you think of them>

jkokura

Chances are high the neck will fit fine if you go with Warmoth or Allparts.

In the least, send an email off to Warmoth and ask them if a tele neck from them will work in a Jay Turser guitar?

I have not experieced GFS pickups. They aren't my style really.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

I put together a strat with some really cheap GFS pickups. They actually sounded pretty darn good for being like 20 bucks for all three. They had a very strange midrangey sound which was not very strat-like but still cool. I've always wanted to try those vintage style gray bobbins they make. I really like the custome shop '69's and the DImarzio area line for strat pickups.

junkemail86

Not exactly what you asked for, but IMHO, the best budget guitars are the G&L tribute line.  I love my Tribute ASAT and Tribute Invader, each cost only ~$300-350 used in perfect condition.  They play and sound amazing.

keysandguitars

Quote from: junkemail86 on December 15, 2011, 11:47:56 PM
Not exactly what you asked for, but IMHO, the best budget guitars are the G&L tribute line.  I love my Tribute ASAT and Tribute Invader, each cost only ~$300-350 used in perfect condition.  They play and sound amazing.

+1! I ended up spending more and buying an ASAt Special but I was pretty impressed with several of their Tribute guitars. I love my G&L and plan on buying a Comanche down the road.

EDIT: I should reiterate, I think buying a warmth neck and pups if necessary is your best bang for the buck move. Call Warmoth, they are very helpful and their return policy is great. Browse their in stock necks. Typically, you'll save a few bucks if you buy one in stock. You could order it, dry fit it in the neck pocket and see how it fits. Don't put a screw to it and they'll take it back if it doesn't work. Best of luck and enjoy whatever you end up doing.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

slimtriggers

Quote from: rjkanejr on December 15, 2011, 09:18:59 PM
Thanks for all the input thus far.  Anyone else?  I am leaning towards replacing the neck on the tele, but the question is will a replacement fit.  I am not sure what size the neck pocket on this thing is but I know the body is solid wood. 

So does anyone have any love for the GFS pickups?  Anyone replace their pickups with GFS?  If so what have you used, what do you think of them>

I bought a GFS pre-wired pick guard for my Strat a while back while I was sorting out a wiring issue with my other p'ups.  It worked fine, and for $35 I was pleased with it.  I really liked the bridge pickup, but the neck and middle were kinda

I ended up going back to the Dimarzios, but I do miss the bite of that bridge single coil.

jtn191

FWIW, I have a Xavierre Jazzmaster, a Rondo PJ Bass, and a MIM Strat. I put in lace sensors on my strat and it plays the best. The Xavierre's pickups sound really good but the strings feel a bit stiff (could just be the JM style) and feels/looks/sounds better than what I paid for it. It's a surprisingly close second. Both the xavierre and rondo could use some setting up and choice minor upgrades.

bottom line: I don't think there's anything wrong with GFS/Xavierre stuff if you want to try something different (I.E humbuckers if you're a strat guy) or a backup on a budget