News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lectric-FX Flintlock Flanger (A/DA Flanger)

Started by benny_profane, November 11, 2021, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

This thing is incredible. It's an extremely versatile modulation circuit capable of delivering hollow pipe and jet engine flanger sounds as well as subtler flanger movement. Beyond flanger, lush chorus, vibrato, percussive tremolo, and a pseudo-phaser can be dialed in. Removing the LFO allows the pedal to be used as a really interesting notch filter. In short, a knob turner's dream. Highly recommend this build for anyone considering it.

The circuit board is densely packed, but well-designed and easy to populate. The Lectric crew did a great job here! There's no wasted space on the board (or within the 1590BB enclosure). The calibration process rather involved (even by BBD standards), and range parameters are a bit too sensitive for the single turn resolution trimmers—a multi-turn trimmer would make calibration easier—but it's doable with the 3362p trimmers with patience.

The interaction between the MANUAL / RANGE / SPEED controls is extremely interesting. The THRESHOLD control helps deal with some of the noise inherent to the circuit while adding dynamics to the response.

When I was picking out the color palette, this combination reminded me of some of Bio77's builds. I took a cue from some of his builds and used a similar typeface. Thewintersoldier provided guidance with the board mounting. (Thanks again for the help guys!) I'm not sure if I'm set on the knobs.

Check it.

Thewintersoldier

Killer build! So clean inside and that color enclosure and faceplate is to die for. I think the knobs look good. You knocked it out the park and your write up us 100% accurate.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Haberdasher

Wow, that is a very nice build. Makes mine look a bit poorly!
Also, nice photography.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jjjimi84

Looking very nice! I still have to calibrate mine, thanks for the write up its pushing me in the right direction.

madbean

Man that is so sweet! Great work. I really need to finish mine. It's only been like 3 years, haha.

gordo

Wow, that is just crazy nice.  I agree, this circuit is pretty slick.  The A/DA phaser is equally as cool with a built in mild overdrive to make the swoosh a bit more dramatic.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bret608

Wow, that is awesome! Your description did nail it. I feel like I'm still figuring out what my Flintlock can do a year after building it. Just happened upon a great chorus sound this week, for example.

benny_profane

Thanks everyone! This was a really fun build. Anyone interested in modulation circuits should really consider this.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on November 11, 2021, 01:34:04 PM
Killer build! So clean inside and that color enclosure and faceplate is to die for. I think the knobs look good. You knocked it out the park and your write up us 100% accurate.

Thanks! Yeah I was trying to capture what this circuit is capable of...it's really an all in one mod box. I kinda knew that going into the project, but it's still surprising when you sit down and start working with it.

That's actually not a faceplate (although I do use them often). I masked off the green area and sprayed it on top of the purple. The labelling is just a waterslide decal.

Quote from: Haberdasher on November 11, 2021, 01:45:33 PM
Wow, that is a very nice build. Makes mine look a bit poorly!
Also, nice photography.

Thanks! You guys did a great job with this project. The compliments mean a lot coming from you!

Quote from: jjjimi84 on November 11, 2021, 04:22:12 PM
Looking very nice! I still have to calibrate mine, thanks for the write up its pushing me in the right direction.

Do it!!!! It can be a bit fiddly and take a bit to calibrate. Once it's dialed in it's great though. Stoked to see your demo of this monster.

Quote from: madbean on November 11, 2021, 05:06:15 PM
Man that is so sweet! Great work. I really need to finish mine. It's only been like 3 years, haha.

Thanks, Brian! Yeah I sat on this for well over a year (not sure why though—I've read/heard nothing but praise for this circuit). Kinda glad that I did because I didn't have that purple with glitter effect in my arsenal until this year.

Quote from: gordo on November 11, 2021, 05:15:43 PM
Wow, that is just crazy nice.  I agree, this circuit is pretty slick.  The A/DA phaser is equally as cool with a built in mild overdrive to make the swoosh a bit more dramatic.

That phaser sounds really interesting. I like to use phasers to add a little movement but not take over the sound. That can be a bit difficult with a clean signal. That integrated overdrive might be the ticket to making the effect more prominent while still keeping the depth at lower settings. I'll have to look into that.

Quote from: Bret608 on November 12, 2021, 06:43:35 AM
Wow, that is awesome! Your description did nail it. I feel like I'm still figuring out what my Flintlock can do a year after building it. Just happened upon a great chorus sound this week, for example.

I was surprised at how good the chorus effect is! I was not expecting that. The MANUAL / RANGE / SPEED knobs have so many combinations of awesome sounds. I'm really digging the dynamism the THRESHOLD knob can bring and the notch filter effect is really cool.

Thewintersoldier

When I want extreme over the top this is what I would go for. My favorite is still the mistress, just because I feel it's the most musical and warmest of the flangers. It's not as extreme and for my playing that's what I dig, but for the extreme and pushing the boundaries of what a flanger or any bbd modulation can do it's hard to beat the flintlock.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

benny_profane

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on November 12, 2021, 10:15:41 AM
When I want extreme over the top this is what I would go for. My favorite is still the mistress, just because I feel it's the most musical and warmest of the flangers. It's not as extreme and for my playing that's what I dig, but for the extreme and pushing the boundaries of what a flanger or any bbd modulation can do it's hard to beat the flintlock.

That's my next mod build I think. I picked up a current lover PCB on my last order. I've always thought chorus was my preferred modulation, but building a few flangers might change that.

gordo

Quote from: benny_profane on November 12, 2021, 07:59:40 AM

That phaser sounds really interesting. I like to use phasers to add a little movement but not take over the sound. That can be a bit difficult with a clean signal. That integrated overdrive might be the ticket to making the effect more prominent while still keeping the depth at lower settings. I'll have to look into that.

That's EXACTLY how I use it.  Mostly clean sounds but I add a bit of compression and dial in a bit of grit on the pedal and set it to be very slow and subtle.  There's something happening but it doesn't sound swooshy.  It takes on a bit of the "evil" sound of Univibe but without the warble.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Quote from: benny_profane on November 12, 2021, 10:23:29 AM

That's my next mod build I think. I picked up a current lover PCB on my last order. I've always thought chorus was my preferred modulation, but building a few flangers might change that.
Current Lover is a must, it's got it's own flavor, much like the A/DA.  If you're on a flanger tear, I'd recommend DeadendFX's Flange-a-rama, too.   

Invertiguy

Great work, that thing looks incredible! I really need to build myself one of these, no flanger collection is complete without one! I particularly love the enclosure color, is that powder coat or did you paint it?
Doomsday Devices

benny_profane

Quote from: gordo on November 12, 2021, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on November 12, 2021, 07:59:40 AM

That's EXACTLY how I use it.  Mostly clean sounds but I add a bit of compression and dial in a bit of grit on the pedal and set it to be very slow and subtle.  There's something happening but it doesn't sound swooshy.  It takes on a bit of the "evil" sound of Univibe but without the warble.

Oh that sounds great! Definitely going to look into that.

Quote from: Bio77 on November 12, 2021, 04:31:37 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on November 12, 2021, 10:23:29 AM

Current Lover is a must, it's got it's own flavor, much like the A/DA.  If you're on a flanger tear, I'd recommend DeadendFX's Flange-a-rama, too.   

Excited for the current lover. I have been compiling a list of DEFX boards I want to pick up. Good call on the recommendation.

Quote from: Invertiguy on November 13, 2021, 02:00:10 AM
Great work, that thing looks incredible! I really need to build myself one of these, no flanger collection is complete without one! I particularly love the enclosure color, is that powder coat or did you paint it?

Thanks! The enclosure is all spray paint: primer, dark purple, glitter effect clear coat, masked off green section, and topped with gloss clear coat.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Bio77 on November 12, 2021, 04:31:37 PM
If you're on a flanger tear, I'd recommend DeadendFX's Flange-a-rama, too.
Quote from: benny_profane on November 17, 2021, 08:18:05 PM
I have been compiling a list of DEFX boards I want to pick up. Good call on the recommendation.

Make sure you can find those MN3204 chips first! They are very, very scarce right now  :(