News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grapevine Build - 50's time machine!

Started by Bluestrat, December 15, 2011, 04:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluestrat

Finished this about 2 weeks ago. Love the sound of this. Didn't know how much I like that Marshall grind :o I really like all of the od's I've built but this may be my favorite so far. Stacks really well with all my pedals. Both gain modes are musical and play well with my strats. Great sound! This is in a 1590B with a silver hammered finish from a spray can. The large knob is a 50's or 60's vintage piece. Thanks to Haberdasher for the excellent board and thanks to all the posters here. I'm learning lots of good things here!  ;D

pryde

Wow. very cool build. Is the large knob for volume or gain?

I just finished a Grapevine also and am finding some great tones with it.

Bluestrat

Quote from: pryde on December 15, 2011, 04:48:19 PM
Wow. very cool build. Is the large knob for volume or gain?

Thanks for the good words. Big knob is gain, small left is volume and small right is tone.

mjcyates

slimtriggers

Love the Steampunk look!  And the socketed off board wiring is a brilliant idea 8)  Did you have to attach anything to the ends of the wires to fit the sockets?

Bluestrat

Quote from: slimtriggers on December 15, 2011, 05:41:31 PM
Love the Steampunk look!  And the socketed off board wiring is a brilliant idea 8)  Did you have to attach anything to the ends of the wires to fit the sockets?

Thanks! I was using some less than stellar 24awg stranded and had to attach leftover wire from resistors. This works great but is a little time consuming. I've had really good pre-tinned wire that works well without the addition of the solid wire with the sockets. After my first build where I must have taken it apart a dozen times to trouble shoot I decide to just socket till I build a test rig. I'm going to try solid and see how that works next.

snz728

Haberdasher

Wow, that looks so cool!  You got style man!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

lincolnic

jubal81

Now that's hot! Stellar work.
I'd like to nominate this for Bean's new build gallery.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Now that I like! 8)
Cool build and cool pedal!

petesz

raulduke

Very cool build mate.

Love the look of this one  :o!

plesur

Too cool for school. That's a mean looking pedal. Which knob does the death ray?

I love my DLS Grapevine build too. Went straight on the pedalboard and hasn't come off yet.

Bluestrat

;D Wow! Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate all the positive comments. This is my favorite pedal building forum. Great vibe, great boards and forum members.  Lots of smart builders here and tons of talent. Thanks to all of you for being part of all of that and thanks to Brian for making it all possible.