News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar Pedal Power Supply

Started by redkurn, November 20, 2021, 04:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

So I've had this for a while and I am wondering if I can daisy chain off the 500ma and be fine?
Most of the pedals I have don't go over 25ma and I've been reading not to use more than 75% capacity to keep the power supply in a happy zome.
So I would say I could get away with 4 per 100ma jack... I'd like to power every pedal I have at some point so I don't need to swap them out of the loop anymore.

So would it be best to put my daisy chain into the 500ma jack and have at it?
I think the chain has 8 connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F7SM4C9

gordo

I'd love to tell you that math is involved, and it is, but it really depends on the pedals you're using, and even the place you're playing in and the amp you're using.  If the math works for the pedal draw and how much the port is capable of delivering then daisy chaining technically works but you may find pedal combos don't know math.  To be honest I've never had many issues using daisy chained pedals.  But in the same breath I've NEVER had issues with each pedal on an isolated output.  I think it's better luck than good management.  If it's mission critical and a road gig...spend the money.  If it's a local bar gig, you can likely afford to daisy and spend the money on other stuff like good cables.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

redkurn

Quote from: gordo on November 20, 2021, 04:46:39 PM
I'd love to tell you that math is involved, and it is, but it really depends on the pedals you're using, and even the place you're playing in and the amp you're using.  If the math works for the pedal draw and how much the port is capable of delivering then daisy chaining technically works but you may find pedal combos don't know math.  To be honest I've never had many issues using daisy chained pedals.  But in the same breath I've NEVER had issues with each pedal on an isolated output.  I think it's better luck than good management.  If it's mission critical and a road gig...spend the money.  If it's a local bar gig, you can likely afford to daisy and spend the money on other stuff like good cables.

Home use only, 99.9% chance that's all it ever will be. :D
I'd just like to get everything plugged in and not sitting in a box.

mauman

+1 to gordo, give 'er a try daisy chaining off the 500 mA 9V jack.  My experience has been that modulation pedals are the quickest to generate noise when daisy chaining, but if that happens you'll hear it.  One thing to remember, when you first connect DC to a pedal, it will momentarily draw more than the usual operating current, maybe 2x, while the power filter caps charge up.  Only lasts a second or two, but if you're close to the limit on your power supply's current rating, it might current-limit for a couple of seconds if you power up everything at once.