News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DragonHound

Started by gordo, November 21, 2021, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This is pretty slick and the two effects blend really nicely together.  Sort of a best of both without the shortcomings (at least from my perception) of either.  This one is hand painted white (under the decals) over an orange Tayda powdercoat and then waterslides.  Yes, it's an obvious ripoff of Peter's artwork tweaked to fit, but I really like the dog.  I also ran out of 100n MLCC's so used box films in a few spots.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Nice! I recently ordered this board. Is that a 125b? Ialso where you find relays?
Who the hell is Bucky?

benny_profane

Looks great! I recently built the SPS version, but I have this one in the queue.

jimilee

Nice job Gordo, I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Looking great! Such a wonderful pedal and really good work!

gordo

This one is a 1590b.  I've had the relay kicking around for a while but I think the last time I ordered some it was from Mouser.
Gordy Power

oeslicoalfin

Here is who stocks those TQ2-L-5V relays in the U.S. at the moment: https://octopart.com/tq2-l-5v-panasonic-697706

Aentons

The Kemet EA2-5SNJ works for the VFE pedals as well and Mouser has them in stock, plus they are way cheaper too.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/551-EA2-5SNJ

jimilee

Mouser has a listing of what will work in its place. If you go to the specs page, it's at the bottom.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on November 21, 2021, 07:30:19 PM
The Kemet EA2-5SNJ works for the VFE pedals as well and Mouser has them in stock, plus they are way cheaper too.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/551-EA2-5SNJ
Yeah they are, that's nice.

oeslicoalfin

Didn't forget to give kudos for the build last night - just had kids and wife screaming in the background at bath time on a school night ..!
Really like the look - can't wait to build mine to hear how it sounds.
How did you etch that silver groove around the tip of the enclosure - acid etch, roto-tool grinder, or laser?
Cheers

Bio77

Looks great, Gordo! 

I usually end up going with a 1590B for the VFEs.  I've had mixed luck getting a 125B with top mounts together.  It can be done, but I think those 1u caps near the front are going to be tricky.

gordo

Thanks folks.  I used a laser to give me a guide for painting and actually forgot to turn the border off.  I used a silver Sharpie marker to fill it in.  It's a tad clumsy but I think this whole concept is workable.  The downside is that it takes a lot of time and in the end I think a Tayda UV would look quite a bit better.

The pedal itself is capable of a ton of tones.  I have it panned slightly in favor of the Pale Horse side so it gives me the smoothness and bark (pun intended) of a Screamer with less of the mid bump and less clean bleed.  With some Rat blended in it has a nice grind to it with a little nasty in the top end without being overly aggressive.  I kind of like this parallel approach as it's a bit more complex sounding than driving one into the other.

I'm looking forward to getting it on my live rig.  I got a chance to fiddle with the Silver Fox and Kompromat on the rig this weekend and really liked it.  Too many options :-)
Gordy Power

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on November 22, 2021, 05:10:40 PM
Thanks folks.  I used a laser to give me a guide for painting and actually forgot to turn the border off.  I used a silver Sharpie marker to fill it in.  It's a tad clumsy but I think this whole concept is workable.  The downside is that it takes a lot of time and in the end I think a Tayda UV would look quite a bit better.

The pedal itself is capable of a ton of tones.  I have it panned slightly in favor of the Pale Horse side so it gives me the smoothness and bark (pun intended) of a Screamer with less of the mid bump and less clean bleed.  With some Rat blended in it has a nice grind to it with a little nasty in the top end without being overly aggressive.  I kind of like this parallel approach as it's a bit more complex sounding than driving one into the other.

I'm looking forward to getting it on my live rig.  I got a chance to fiddle with the Silver Fox and Kompromat on the rig this weekend and really liked it.  Too many options :-)

Points for painting. I think the BOTY contest is going to look a little different this year.