News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best PT2399 Delay Modulation??

Started by Bio77, November 23, 2021, 08:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

I'm starting to work on a new 2399 delay circuit design.  I've been over a lot of different modulation options in different MB circuits, both optical and op-amp based.  I was just wondering if any of you have an opinion for which modulation circuit is best suited to a 2399 style delay and why?  This project is going to be in a 1590XX, so, parts count is not a consideration.   However, given the difficulty sourcing things recently, I'd probably like to avoid rare parts. Let me know hat you think!  8)

jimilee

Have you looked at the stuff over at 1776?  The multiplex and the multiplex jr are nice. Madbean's zeropoint deluxe is nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: Bio77 on November 23, 2021, 08:40:20 PM
I'm starting to work on a new 2399 delay circuit design.  I've been over a lot of different modulation options in different MB circuits, both optical and op-amp based.  I was just wondering if any of you have an opinion for which modulation circuit is best suited to a 2399 style delay and why?  This project is going to be in a 1590XX, so, parts count is not a consideration.   However, given the difficulty sourcing things recently, I'd probably like to avoid rare parts. Let me know hat you think!  8)

I've used an optical mod circuit to good effect with a 2399 delay. I used the AQB_MOD board for the base and wired the LED to an envelope detector circuit so I could have dynamic mod and LFO mod on a toggle.

Bio77

Quote from: jimilee on November 23, 2021, 09:52:12 PM
Have you looked at the stuff over at 1776?  The multiplex and the multiplex jr are nice. Madbean's zeropoint deluxe is nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, good tips!  I think I've seen the ZP but I've never looked at the Multiplex.

Quote from: benny_profane on November 23, 2021, 09:54:39 PM
I've used an optical mod circuit to good effect with a 2399 delay. I used the AQB_MOD board for the base and wired the LED to an envelope detector circuit so I could have dynamic mod and LFO mod on a toggle.
Interesting, what does an enveloped modulation sound like on a delay?

benny_profane

Quote from: Bio77 on November 23, 2021, 11:29:58 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on November 23, 2021, 09:54:39 PM
Interesting, what does an enveloped modulation sound like on a delay?
Check out the clari(not)—that's the most obvious implementation of that idea that I can think of. You can design it so that it would impact either the speed or depth depending on what you're trying to do. The clari(not) is set up so that it affects the depth of the modulation.

culturejam

Check out the Echo Base. Schematic is attached.

Also, the Magnus Modulus is a good one that I sorta helped out with (also attached).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Bio77

Thanks!  I'm planning to breadboard these out and see what works best. 

thomasha

I would also suggest the multiplex,
combining two chips makes it sound very interesting with the different echo possibilities.

I also built the magnus modulus and added a wah. The LFO can be used for modulation, tremolo and auto-wah with some tweaks. There are some settings where it gets too fast though.

I would suggest implementing a LFO with different shaped waves, offset and ratios. It might add some weirdness to the repeats. Therefore you would require some additional changes to achieve that.