News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hakko FR-301

Started by alanp, December 26, 2021, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I've been on the fence about getting a hand-held desoldering tool for awhile, and picked one up a few weeks ago.

Bloody hell.

You do have to clean it... multiple times each session... but it works very, very, very well. The pots just fell out of the old PCBs I was harvesting parts from (they've been sitting in the cupboard for half a decade... didn't want to waste the parts on 'em) and the rotary switches very nearly did as well! (The retaining clips on those work a bit better than the average 9mm pot retaining bits.)

If DIY electronics is a big hobby, and you're on the level of owning and using a scope, I'd recommend getting a FR-301 as well.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Maaaan, I need one of those...soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

It's work to maintain but I can't recommend it enough. I've torn it down, replaced parts, etc etc over the years but it keeps going.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on December 28, 2021, 12:07:24 AM
It's work to maintain but I can't recommend it enough. I've torn it down, replaced parts, etc etc over the years but it keeps going.
It's just so dammed expensive, twice the price of the iron. I'll have one, but all my fun money is a little low right now. Maybe a go fund me....

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on December 28, 2021, 02:11:22 AM
It's just so dammed expensive, twice the price of the iron. I'll have one, but all my fun money is a little low right now. Maybe a go fund me....

Does your iron take blade tips?  I have a Hakko Desoldering Tool (the model previous to the FR301) and I use blade or tweezers to pull most components.  With the blade, I can heat all 3 pins simultaneously and pull the pot while the solder is hot.  I can then clean up with a solder sucker or braid.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on December 28, 2021, 04:56:48 AM

Does your iron take blade tips?  I have a Hakko Desoldering Tool (the model previous to the FR301) and I use blade or tweezers to pull most components.  With the blade, I can heat all 3 pins simultaneously and pull the pot while the solder is hot.  I can then clean up with a solder sucker or braid.
Yup, the Hakko 888. I normally use both braid and a sucker.  The desolder tool sounds so much less of a headache.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on December 28, 2021, 03:06:40 PM

Yup, the Hakko 888. I normally use both braid and a sucker.  The desolder tool sounds so much less of a headache.

The braid and the sucker are just for clean-up.  The blade tip is the star of the show.

They are stupid expensive new, but can occasionally be found new and unused on eBay.  I'm not sure if they make them for the FX-888, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on December 28, 2021, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 28, 2021, 03:06:40 PM

The braid and the sucker are just for clean-up.  The blade tip is the star of the show.

They are stupid expensive new, but can occasionally be found new and unused on eBay.  I'm not sure if they make them for the FX-888, though.
Ahh, I see the type blade you're talking about. Definitely worth a look also.

peAk

Quote from: alanp on December 26, 2021, 01:30:11 AM
I've been on the fence about getting a hand-held desoldering tool for awhile, and picked one up a few weeks ago.

Bloody hell.

You do have to clean it... multiple times each session... but it works very, very, very well. The pots just fell out of the old PCBs I was harvesting parts from (they've been sitting in the cupboard for half a decade... didn't want to waste the parts on 'em) and the rotary switches very nearly did as well! (The retaining clips on those work a bit better than the average 9mm pot retaining bits.)

If DIY electronics is a big hobby, and you're on the level of owning and using a scope, I'd recommend getting a FR-301 as well.

Man Alan, one of my all-time best purchases for building pcb stuff. I told myself when I bought it that I would always clean it after ever use and so far I have kept that up. I have a system down of cleaning it that goes really fast so its a nonissue now.

I eventually purchased maybe 4-5 different style tips for it so I can use the best one suited for the job. They are expensive too but also makes the tool even more useful.

culturejam

I have the FR-300, and it's amazing. I don't use it all that much, but when I need, it is a clutch bit of kit.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects