News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First build of 2022 - Archibald

Started by gordo, January 01, 2022, 08:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I love this pedal.  Definitely more "ooomph" at 12v but not a deal breaker.  I am getting some significant gating on the attack with the buffer in circuit.  I'm not sure if it's a pedal issue or a build issue but haven't troubleshot beyond verifying correct parts in the buffer circuit.  I'll try swapping tubes at some point but for now I'm having a blast playing it and looking forward to running it in my live rig tomorrow.

Nothing special here except I actually threw down the gauntlet and painted the inside of the enclosure.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

How are your voltages on the JFET compare to the ones listed in the doc? Don't know what would cause a gated effect here.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on January 01, 2022, 08:23:39 AM
I love this pedal.  Definitely more "ooomph" at 12v but not a deal breaker.  I am getting some significant gating on the attack with the buffer in circuit.  I'm not sure if it's a pedal issue or a build issue but haven't troubleshot beyond verifying correct parts in the buffer circuit.  I'll try swapping tubes at some point but for now I'm having a blast playing it and looking forward to running it in my live rig tomorrow.

Nothing special here except I actually threw down the gauntlet and painted the inside of the enclosure.

Looks great Gordo, no surprise you beat me to the punch on this one. I'm posting mine today too 😂
I also had the issue with the buffer at 12 volts but ended up changing the jfet. Haven't had anymore issues since. But I also like the slightly less headroom and compression that 9 volts gives, as subtle as it is
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Looks great! Couple of savages posting New Years Day builds!!!!

madbean

I used a surface mount mmbfj201 on my build. I did not experience any issue with the buffered output (across two builds). But, of course I will check again. My final boxing for it should be tomorrow. Just finishing up the artwork for my build today.

gordo

Yupp, that was it.  I must have baked the 201 smd when I soldered it.  I buggered up the pad getting it back off the board so I replaced it with a thru hole and I'm in business.  Voltages on the 201 were way off and now look normal.

I agree with Thewintersoldier, the buffer is really nice and I'm closing it back up with the buffer in circuit.
Gordy Power

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

I'm digging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

baloubass

Hello everyone and happy new year, does anyone knows the difference between this circuit and the Blue driver. I have read it's pretty close but i don't know where is the differences.
Thank for your answer.

Bio77

Looking good, Gordo! Great start to the new year  8)

matmosphere

You and the wintersoldier man, you guys are making me feel like I need to build one of these.

Great looking build!

gordo

It's worth a look.  I brought my live board home after trying it this morning.  I'm going to work it into the board.
Gordy Power

bbd

Which box did you use?  Looks a bit deeper than the Tayda 1590BB2 120 x 94 x 38mm

120 x 94 x 42.4mm (4.73 x 3.7 x 1.62) is the love my switches 125bb / 1590bbs.

And pedal parts model  125BB enclosure 4.7" x 3.7" x 1.4

gordo

I'll double check but it was a LMS order so I believe that's the box.  It's pretty much a deep 1590BB.
Gordy Power

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on January 15, 2022, 05:10:09 PM
I'll double check but it was a LMS order so I believe that's the box.  It's pretty much a deep 1590BB.
He Gordo, got a question for ya. When I have the toggle switch to the right, the hi pot makes the output quiet as I turn it up. I really have to crank the volume and the amp. Is this your experience?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.