News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The forehead of security-archibald

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 01, 2022, 08:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

First build report of the year. First tube build. Thanks to Brian for answering my questions when I had a mishap. Build was pretty straightforward but I had a cap blow on this after a few minutes of power while testing. It took the inductor with it in a puff of smoke. Brain said I could jumper but voltages we're off on the tube in spots. After narrowing it down to V++ I replaced another cap that went with the first one and all was good.
   So how does it sound? Very convincing tube like drive, dynamic tube like response hahaha. I will make a short demo clip later today, my daughter's friend spent the night last night and are hanging in my man cave/music room. Sounds pretty good with a negligible difference between 9v and 12v. Power full EQ or basic EQ. The buffer makes a huge difference, and the bias is fun the mess with. I like the range on the gain knob.
   This is a uv print and went with John Favreau's Happy Hogan. Such a great character and fits the Archibald/Jeeves pedigree great. Standard 12ax7 I had laying around worked great.  Here's to another year of awesome MBP projects!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Looks great! I cannot wait to hear it.

Thewintersoldier

Here's a quick and dirty clip. Tele into a clean deluxe reverb. Backed off the bias a little bit to simulate a little bit of rectifier sag. Breif moment of picking dynamics and volume knob roll off.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Excellent, that nails the sound of this thing!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

harryklippton

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn that sounds good. I fucked up not ordering one

alanp

'Archibald' makes me think knitted vest, and corduroy trousers. Possibly adenoids, maybe not.

Bloody nice build, though!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Archi means business. Full stop.

Nice one indeed!
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Fantastic build and great report!  Sounds awesome  8)

Thewintersoldier

Thanks everyone. It's an awesome pedal. I took someone's suggestion to add some venting holes to prevent overheating especially the electrolytic caps. I don't know how much heat it would produce inside the enclosure and how much it will help but I did it anyways.
Who the hell is Bucky?