News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Invader Distortion noise gate

Started by jimilee, January 22, 2022, 04:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Does anyone have any idea how Gibson pulled that off in the distortion circuit itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Bump, anybody got any ideas yet?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

diablochris6

Without seeing the guts of the pedal, it's hard to say, but I would think that the simplest solution is to have a parallel line after the input stage, boost that signal a fair amount, and have that signal act as the gate control of a JFET. The drain and source legs bridge the gap between the distortion circuit and the output.

Or maybe it's like having an EA tremolo circuit run by an envelope controller instead of a LFO.

If I was designing something with that feature, that's how I would start.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jimilee

Very cool, thank you. I really was just how something like this could be accomplished.

DLW

jimilee

Quote from: DLW on January 30, 2022, 03:32:27 PM
Could be a similar implementation as Amptweaker Tight Metal... https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=223623#p223739
Is that just a couple of parallel si diodes with a trim pot?

DLW

That's what I see too, and it's also a mystery to me.

lrgaraujo

Quote from: jimilee on January 30, 2022, 04:30:58 PM

I don't know exactly what the diodes are doing, but this is a rather common implementation of a simple noise gate in distortion pedals. It does add crossover distortion, though (I believe the parallel trimpot is there to balance the amount of gate and distortion)

Edit: just found a nice explanation of the circuit: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/2tljn4/a_fancier_noise_gate_for_highgain_pedals/

jimilee

Quote from: lrgaraujo on January 31, 2022, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: jimilee on January 30, 2022, 04:30:58 PM

I don't know exactly what the diodes are doing, but this is a rather common implementation of a simple noise gate in distortion pedals. It does add crossover distortion, though (I believe the parallel trimpot is there to balance the amount of gate and distortion)

Edit: just found a nice explanation of the circuit: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/2tljn4/a_fancier_noise_gate_for_highgain_pedals/
Perfect, thank you.