News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX Freedom Preamp

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 09, 2022, 02:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Here is a great project from effectslayouts that was recently released. Based on the old freedom amplifier's preamp section. Could use it to go direct to a daw or as a different flavor of overdrive. Josh Scott did a video on the amp and gives a great idea of the tone. Straight forward build with no issues. Artwork inspired by @jjjimi84.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Spot on, tidy and has got the usual special powers! Noice! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Nice job man, I like it. How does it sound?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on January 09, 2022, 03:33:37 PM
Nice job man, I like it. How does it sound?
Josh at jhs did a demo of the amp. The pedal is pretty spot on.
Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

Is anyone here old enough to remember "Freedom Rock"? Cause that's where my mind went right away.

dawson

Another tidy build by Thewintersoldier- can you tell us what's going on with the "BITE" control?  There's no explanation in the build doc, and the "GAIN" and "VOLUME" functions are already spoken for- I'm puzzled

Quote from: madbean on January 09, 2022, 04:34:26 PM
Is anyone here old enough to remember "Freedom Rock"? Cause that's where my mind went right away.

I must not be old enough, but can I assume that it's the nationalist-propaganda-ridden precursor to "School House Rock?"
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: dawson on January 09, 2022, 04:57:02 PM
Another tidy build by Thewintersoldier- can you tell us what's going on with the "BITE" control?  There's no explanation in the build doc, and the "GAIN" and "VOLUME" functions are already spoken for- I'm puzzled

I must not be old enough, but can I assume that it's the nationalist-propaganda-ridden precursor to "School House Rock?"

This is from the EHX website:
Bite-Alters the amplifier's gain level and frequency response. Turning this control clockwise increases the gain and treble content. This control is also very interactive with the VOLUME control; changing one affects the other.
Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

In the 80's there was a commercial that played on television all the time for one of those LP compilation type records. It was two redneck type guys sitting at the back of a pickup truck, music in the background. One dude goes "Is that Freedom Rock? Well TURN IT UP!".

So, yeah, like the most USA thing ever.

Aentons

dawson

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 09, 2022, 05:19:55 PM
This is from the EHX website:
Bite-Alters the amplifier's gain level and frequency response. Turning this control clockwise increases the gain and treble content. This control is also very interactive with the VOLUME control; changing one affects the other.

Huh- thanks.
That's what I would've assumed if there weren't already knobs labeled "GAIN" and "TONE," I guess the "BITE" nibbles things in-between?
I put my lab-coat on and checked out the schematic but since they're not connected to clipping diodes, it's a bit out of my ballpark.  I did, however, notice that the EHX only had "VOLUME" "BITE" and "TONE" controls which makes a lot more sense, then Effects Layouts came and made it more spicy- I think I'm starting to understand.

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on January 09, 2022, 05:50:49 PM
I definitely remember it...

Oh wow, okay the were hippies not rednecks. Haha, how to misremember things 2022 edition.

dawson

Quote from: madbean on January 09, 2022, 05:26:14 PM
In the 80's there was a commercial that played on television all the time for one of those LP compilation type records. It was two redneck type guys sitting at the back of a pickup truck, music in the background. One dude goes "Is that Freedom Rock? Well TURN IT UP!".

Quote from: Aentons on January 09, 2022, 05:50:49 PM
I definitely remember it...

Literally every one of my Dads' favorite tracks are on those 4 records, 3 cassettes or 2 CD's!

Quote from: madbean on January 09, 2022, 05:58:07 PM
Oh wow, okay the were hippies not rednecks. Haha, how to misremember things 2022 edition.

Maybe you're remembering real Americans and not the commercial?

thesmokingman

Quote from: madbean on January 09, 2022, 05:26:14 PM

I could swear that one of the more recent black keys music videos spoofed freedom rock
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jjjimi84

Chris this is such a cool build and as you know, Captain America is the best! Looks great Nice work.

Big Monk

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 09, 2022, 02:45:40 PM
Here is a great project from effectslayouts that was recently released. Based on the old freedom amplifier's preamp section. Could use it to go direct to a daw or as a different flavor of overdrive. Josh Scott did a video on the amp and gives a great idea of the tone. Straight forward build with no issues. Artwork inspired by @jjjimi84.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The beginnings of the gigantic white wire roll!
My name is Derek Scott. I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon..."