News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best Amp Kits? (USA)

Started by peAk, January 10, 2022, 06:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

What are people opinion on the best amp kits?

Was looking around Mojotone but wanted some feedback

jimilee

Mojotone had a six week lead time when I ordered one. I canceled it and bought a nice used tweed deluxe for the same money. One day though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

I'm planning a Princeton amp build this year.  I asked some advice from Stomptown (Jon) who has posted some excellent amp builds here.  I was planning to get a Weber kit with some upgraded parts but for the money he suggested Mojotone.  I know some others on here have recommended Trinity amps, but they only have a few options available.   

harryklippton

My experience buying from Trinity was really great, although they're in Canada and you specified US. Last I looked they were also out of stock of almost everything. Of course I haven't built the damn thing yet either

EBK

Hoffman has some kits that are quite nice. They are in the form of a prepopulated shopping cart that you can adjust, depending on what you already have or want to source elsewhere, which is nice.
Their website is hard to navigate at first, but the knowledge and prices you can find there are good.
I built a Champ from a parts kit from there, but I bought the cabinet from mojotone, the tubes from tube depot, and the chassis from somewhere else (only because Hoffman was out of stock).
https://hoffmanamps.com/
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jjjimi84

I think it depends on what kind of amp you want to build. If you want a classic fender sound I would go with a Allen Amps Kit, the documentation is excellent and the kit is pretty top shelf.

If you want to go classic Marshall stuff like JTM 45, JMP 50 and the bigger stuff head to valvestorm and use the Metro amp kit build docs to build those type of amps.

If you want a Tweed Deluxe, 18 watt Marshall, Hiwatt, Dumble, Matchless type stuff go with Trinity.

I did an exhaustive amount of research before building and buying any kits and for the money and documentation these are the ones I found to be the best. I built an Allen Accomplice, Metro JTM45 and JMP50, Trinity 18 Watt and Tweed Deluxe.

Invertiguy

Anyone ever built one of Ceriatone's kits before? They seem to have a huge selection of kits available
Doomsday Devices