News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stagefright - Faint LFO Background Noise

Started by Bio77, January 10, 2022, 01:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

After the recent thread about the Maestro, I decided to finish up a Stagefright board I've been hanging onto. 

There is a slight background LFO noise that is audible when the pedal is engaged.  The top mount jacks were not suggested and in retrospect having the input jack right over the LFO seems like a bad idea.  However, moving the input wire doesn't seem to change the behavior and the trim pot can be dialed in to minimize the noise.

I was wondering if any of you have built this and have similar faint background noise? I was contemplating moving the jacks to there suggested side position but I am reluctant to ruin the enclosure because it came out great. Would love to know if the sound is normal. 

harryklippton

jimilee

It's a feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

It looks fantastic.

You could try sub-ing that 062 with a lower noise part like an 072

madbean

IIRC, this was the reason why I changed the drilling template in the 2015 version to have the jacks on the bottom by the footswitch (to keep them away from the LFO).

Try moving the wires connected to the jacks around to see if you can get it to go away. If that doesn't work, shielded wire on the input jack tip may do the trick. Ground one end of the shield to the jack sleeve.

Bio77

Thanks for the input, everyone  8)

Quote from: madbean on January 10, 2022, 02:39:39 PM
IIRC, this was the reason why I changed the drilling template in the 2015 version to have the jacks on the bottom by the footswitch (to keep them away from the LFO).

Try moving the wires connected to the jacks around to see if you can get it to go away. If that doesn't work, shielded wire on the input jack tip may do the trick. Ground one end of the shield to the jack sleeve.
I tried moving the wires and it didn't change the sound.  The cable tip is the closest part to the IC.  Maybe I can shield an enclosed Jack and give that a go.

Quote from: jimilee on January 10, 2022, 01:56:13 PM
It's a feature.

Are you saying your build has this noise too?

Thewintersoldier

In my build I didn't experience the LFO noise you are describing. I had a slight distortion to the phasing kinda like a phase 90. I was able to dial most of it out by using a j201 for the jfet.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Bio77 on January 10, 2022, 03:15:03 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone  8)

Quote from: madbean on January 10, 2022, 02:39:39 PM

I tried moving the wires and it didn't change the sound.  The cable tip is the closest part to the IC.  Maybe I can shield an enclosed Jack and give that a go.

Quote from: jimilee on January 10, 2022, 01:56:13 PM
It's a feature.

Are you saying your build has this noise too?
I've never noticed it if it does.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

aion

Does it happen if you have a buffered pedal in front? High-impedance signals (e.g. direct from passive guitar) are much, much more susceptible to picking up LFO noise, and it almost always happens on the input since most of the internals and the output signal coming from the pedal are low impedance and therefore better able to reject that type of noise.

I've found that many/most instances of ticking will go away if the input signal has been buffered in advance - which is going to be the normal real-world use case most of the time, but not usually done when testing a build.