News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Availability

Started by zachlovescoffee, January 08, 2022, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachlovescoffee

I apologize if this has been answered before. I am kind of new to building pedals overall if you couldn't tell from my whacky posts :) I just stumbled on the VFE pedals and these sound absolutely amazing.

The two that stand out to me at the Bumbleee and the Coral Chorus. Is it still possible to buy these PCBs? How does one get the "software" for the VFE? I'm guessing the "VFE" is a chip that has software flashed on it?

The mouser BOM for the VFE boards shows most of the parts out on DEEP back order. Is that just because Mouser sucks? I've found DigiKey generally has everything in stock 100% of the time, but some of this stuff looks pretty niche.

Thanks!

Bio77

Mad Bean should have both of those PCBs in stock soon (according to the projects page).  VFE is a pedal brand, designed by Peter Rutter. He sells his PCB designs through MB. The only special chip is a microcontroller, which is included with the switching board. You might want a couple of builds under your belt before tackling these.  They are challenging. 

Another note is that all the VFE projects use the same switching board, however, you will build it differently depending on the PCB you are matching it up with.  I recommend you check out the build documents for the switching board and the projects you are interested in.  Another tip, the switching board uses some less common parts (e.g., the 1mH choke, regulator, relay, J113, etc.).  I would recommend stocking up on these parts when you order from Mouser or wherever.  You will defiantly build another VFE after your first.  They are really nice.

matmosphere

There is no software in them. It's not like the FV1 where there is a part that does a lot of the effect. They're just well designed very good sounding pedals. I'll echo that they are difficult to build though. Most of it comes down to making sure you order the correct sizes parts. The boards are very cramped, so part size is very important to look at.

madbean

The Mouser BOM needs to be updated (or perhaps scrapped altogether). A couple things have happened in the last few years since I made it available: Mouser stopped offering Xicon resistors in small quantities and the pandemic has resulted in many parts shortages. So, the existing BOM is pretty useless. That said, Mouser is an awesome source of parts once you have some experience navigating it.

Currently, I am waiting on some additional micro-controllers from Peter (of VFE) before I can offer the VFE projects for sale again. They should be here soon. Once I get them, all the VFE projects will be available for purchase. Unfortunately, there are even some shortages in micro-controllers so I was only able to get a limited batch this time.

zachlovescoffee

Thanks madbean! I'm definitely keen to buy the bumble bee and choral chorus. I have most of the parts, I'm just missing some of the charge pumps. Can't identify an appropriate substitute for the tc7662bcpa

madbean

Quote from: zachlovescoffee on January 09, 2022, 04:56:27 PM
Thanks madbean! I'm definitely keen to buy the bumble bee and choral chorus. I have most of the parts, I'm just missing some of the charge pumps. Can't identify an appropriate substitute for the tc7662bcpa

That's no problem. You can use a TC1044SCPA or MAX1044CPA as a sub for the 7662.

zachlovescoffee

Oh sweet! Any one you prefer?

zachlovescoffee

Really getting excited for these boards! I just noticed there's an VFE Optical Auto Wah! That's three pedal sales you have the second they post :)