Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 18, 2022, 05:27:22 PM
Quote from: Aentons on January 18, 2022, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 18, 2022, 04:00:10 PM
like star wars episodes 7-9, the soft shitty reboot no one asked for

;D
I agree about SW 7-9 tho
It seems to me like Gibson trying to get pedal money. But no one associates meastro with chorus and delay. Only a couple fuzz pedals. I'm not sure what the price point is but it's probably on par with much better offerings by companies who just do pedals. There is nothing that sets these apart except the retro dated graphics. I'm waiting on the slash signature pedal 😂
Their main competitor came out with a line of pedals based on no previous history and nothing that set them apart. Gibson is just staying competitive. Whether we get a totally new circuit design or just a update or revision of something that already exists, then I'm all for it. They hired, what are now, big names to design the originals, who knows who may have designed these.

Invertiguy

Having just watched the Reverb demo, I have mixed thoughts. They sound and look decent enough (especially the chorus) and the price point isn't terrible, but at the same time nothing really stands out as particularly unique or noteworthy. Where's all the cool old stuff that people associate with Maestro? I get that some of the old designs aren't exactly practical to clone exactly due to parts availability, but I'd take a modern reimagining that uses modern components while keeping the spirit of the old designs over this lineup of fairly generic offerings, and I'd certainly take it over 'limited edition custom-shop reissues' that sell out in 15 minutes only to be immediately listed on Reverb for 10x the price.
Doomsday Devices

LaceSensor

My 2c

the Chorus is wierd. The Mix control isnt really great, seems like a huge boost in the chorus side on the andertons demo
The Orbit setting is maybe a bit interesting. edit just watched another video. This is actually cool. its like the time and space on the Lovetone flanger, in that it adds a tremolo effect in parallel with the chorus, set by an internal trimmer. would have been nice to have the internal trimmer external, and the toggle on a second footswitch...

The Modern mode of the FZ-m to me sounded particularly awful, and in general seemed to massively lack headroom. An epic fail.

The others? A shuddering "meh" from me. If someone said "here, have one for free" Id take the delay as I felt it sounded the most interesting but it does sound really noisy on the repeats. Probably low voltage chips. Or on reflection maybe the chorus as it does something new-ish.

Aentons

Quote from: Invertiguy on January 19, 2022, 02:30:42 AM
Where's all the cool old stuff that people associate with Maestro?
I speculate that the next 5 coming this summer will be more along that line. The Gibson rep in the TGP thread hinted at it and almost assured us of a phaser. Hard to say what the other 4 will be. Maybe a boost , a compressor/sustainer, would be the easy choice, but what about the remaining 2. Octave, ring mod, FSH, who knows...

Aentons

They all sound fairly decent to me. Im particularly interested in the distortion and the delay. The andertons demo was the best. Andy's didn't sound the same, there seemed to more fizz and bottom end in his setup. But he gave us some gut shots, so I figured id screenshot an post'em.

Looks like 4x regular 8-pin dip ic's with 2 trimpots each in the delay. What could those be? BL3208A or Coolaudio V3208D maybe

Aentons

https://www.maestroelectronics.com/en-US/#timeline-lern-more

The vintage ones specifically called out in timeline headings are these:

Maestro FZ-1A Fuzz-Tone
BG-1 and 2 Boomerang Wah
Maestro RM-1A  Ring Modulator
PS-1 Phase Shifter
Maestro Echoplex
Maestro Parametric EQ
Maestro Octave Box

So hoping/predicting for the phaser, wah, ring modulator, octave and eq in the next batch

Aentons

Hmm, looks like there used to be a Maestro Chorus. who knew...

https://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/maestro/daphon/ch70

Edit: and an overdrive...

and a "Funky" phaser

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Aentons on January 19, 2022, 07:13:19 AM
What could those be? BL3208A or Coolaudio V3208D maybe

Fairly sure that Belling does not manufacture BBDs anymore. Sadly  :(

gordo

Honestly, we put this effort to shame.  On any given day most of our builds look a heck of a lot better than these.  Kudos to the cool little lighted trumpets logo but beyond that...

Plus there's so many good videos of pedals these days that I was hard pressed to make it thru the first minute of a whanker version of Satisfaction.  Then again, that's probably why I don't do demos.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Big Monk

My name is Derek Scott. I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon..."

madbean

Engineering-wise they look terrific. I'm less sure that they offer anything terribly unique or cool beyond the legacy, though. IMO, if you are going to revive a legacy product then stay true to it. That will sell. Modern construction on vintage effects is not as appealing. But, I'm no authority either!

EBK

Quote from: madbean on January 19, 2022, 07:13:39 PM
IMO, if you are going to revive a legacy product then stay true to it. That will sell. Modern construction on vintage effects is not as appealing. But, I'm no authority either!
Exactly.  If you are going to use the maestro name, then at least use slide switches and rockers.  Maestro pedals had a distinctive look and feel that these lack.  The wallpaper graphics are not maestro either.  These make me sad (I've already said this), not nostalgic. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

Quote from: EBK on January 19, 2022, 07:26:00 PM
IMO, if you are going to revive a legacy product then stay true to it. That will sell. Modern construction on vintage effects is not as appealing. But, I'm no authority either!
Exactly.  If you are going to use the maestro name, then at least use slide switches and rockers.  Maestro pedals had a distinctive look and feel that these lack.  The wallpaper graphics are not maestro either.  These make me sad (I've already said this), not nostalgic.

Precisely. DIY is different because that is more about the individual being able to reconstruct vintage/onubtanium without the price tag. This just doesn't fit the "authentic" moniker to which Gibson has attached itself. And, I personally love Gibson.

Aentons

Reposting what the Gibson rep said on the other thread. I think they have big plans but will take some time for it to all be available. It all sounds pretty cool to me

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-maestro-pedals-by-gibson.2319770/post-33978282

"Gibson Brands use three main categories for gear - Original Collection (usually more traditional gear), Custom Shop (vintage recreations and high-end products), and Modern Collection. Please note that these initial pedals (and the ones that will come out this summer) are all Original Collection models. We've already talked a bit about what you can probably expect to eventually see from the Maestro Custom Shop. Across Gibson Brands, the Modern Collection categories are where you'll tend to find the more innovative things. Yes, we plan on having all three categories for Maestro. I'll let you all use your imaginations in terms of what the Modern Collection might ultimately consist of... that's what we're doing."

jimilee

Engineering-wise they look terrific. I'm less sure that they offer anything terribly unique or cool beyond the legacy, though. IMO, if you are going to revive a legacy product then stay true to it. That will sell. Modern construction on vintage effects is not as appealing. But, I'm no authority either!
I'm curious about the gate on the overdrive. How is that accomplished. At 150, surely it is t as sophisticated as say the g-string or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.