Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This has to end

Started by Leevibe, January 22, 2022, 04:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: jkokura on January 31, 2022, 11:55:50 AM
Quote from: alanp on January 30, 2022, 10:03:57 PM
I don't know why, but I expected Brian's workbench to be a pair of trestles, and a wide, old plank sagging deeply under the weight of toan piled high on it.

Brian used a Cardtable for a very long time. It had all the toans we dreamed of. I'm not sure why he switched.

Jacob
That explains so much! Thanks Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Drew Hallenbeck

It's pretty tidy at the moment but has been known to get pretty messy....
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

madbean

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on January 31, 2022, 05:03:01 PM
It's pretty tidy at the moment but has been known to get pretty messy....

Holy shit, that is awesome! I love it.

madbean

Quote from: jkokura on January 31, 2022, 11:55:50 AM
Brian used a Cardtable for a very long time. It had all the toans we dreamed of. I'm not sure why he switched.

Jacob

Oh, I have the same card table. But, I resurfaced it with stick on tiles. You might say I put a blanket over mah toanz.

Leevibe

Quote from: madbean on January 29, 2022, 05:44:47 PM
I'm doing okay as far as clutter. Cleaned up a bit today and rescued three FV-1 from old builds. One freshly installed on the (just so happens) three new FV-1 projects I'm working on.

Also got a new storage bin since I was completely out of space for project PCBs. mbp now has more projects that at any time, even considering all the ones that have been discontinued.

You FFX guys with your silver face bench amps. I think pedal peddling is just a cover you use with your wives to buy sweet amps. "Honey, don't think of it as a test amp. Think of it as our little silver goose that lays golden eggs."  "By the way, sweetie, no one will take us seriously if we're not checking our circuits through an old plexi."

madbean

Quote from: Leevibe on January 31, 2022, 06:06:54 PM

You FFX guys with your silver face bench amps. I think pedal peddling is just a cover you use with your wives to buy sweet amps. "Honey, don't think of it as a test amp. Think of it as our little silver goose that lays golden eggs."  "By the way, sweetie, no one will take us seriously if we're not checking our circuits through an old plexi."

Haha. The $300 I spent on the 70's Silverface Champ was easily my best investment ever. I did put another $200 or so into over the years but well worth it. It's the perfect test platform for pedals. I'm expecting my first amp build will be a clone of it.

jkokura

Quote from: Leevibe on January 31, 2022, 06:06:54 PM
Quote from: madbean on January 29, 2022, 05:44:47 PM
I'm doing okay as far as clutter. Cleaned up a bit today and rescued three FV-1 from old builds. One freshly installed on the (just so happens) three new FV-1 projects I'm working on.

Also got a new storage bin since I was completely out of space for project PCBs. mbp now has more projects that at any time, even considering all the ones that have been discontinued.

Lol, I use a silverface Vibro Champ as a bench amp too!

I think it's because that era put out great amps, but they aren't worth as much as the blackface types.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bio77

My garage is a mess but my work station is super neat at the moment  ;D  I made a lot of key updates at the start of the pandemic because this doubled as my home office when the whole family was here online.  The most important improvement was a nice chair. That's a solid state Princeton, so, I guess I need to step up my game.

jkokura

Quote from: Bio77 on February 02, 2022, 11:22:19 AM
...That's a solid state Princeton, so, I guess I need to step up my game.

Silverface man, it's the thing all the cool kids do.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Leevibe

I'm still working on other projects right now but I'm thinking this could well be my method for signal generator and bench amp moving forward. They won't live at the bench but pretty dang portable and lots of tonal options.

alanp

Bio77, you homebrew? :)

I have a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter bubbling away, probably due for bottling right now.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bio77

Quote from: alanp on February 02, 2022, 10:14:37 PM
Bio77, you homebrew? :)

I have a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter bubbling away, probably due for bottling right now.
Yeah, I brewed pretty regularly several years ago, not so much anymore (I have a new hobby  ;D).  However, it was a super handy skill early in the pandemic.  I made 3 batches right after the first lock down.  Kept me from having to do any beer runs for quite a few months.  If you are into it, get a keg system, bottling sucks!

culturejam

Quote from: Bio77 on February 03, 2022, 07:57:25 AM
If you are into it, get a keg system, bottling sucks!

So much easier. But also, so much easier to drink it faster. If the glass never gets less than halfway empty, you're always still on "my first one".  ;D

Fun side note: For about 5 years, I wrote a regular column in Brew Your Own magazine (the Projects column).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Bio77

Quote from: culturejam on February 04, 2022, 11:09:44 AM
Quote from: Bio77 on February 03, 2022, 07:57:25 AM
If you are into it, get a keg system, bottling sucks!

So much easier. But also, so much easier to drink it faster. If the glass never gets less than halfway empty, you're always still on "my first one".  ;D

Fun side note: For about 5 years, I wrote a regular column in Brew Your Own magazine (the Projects column).
This was an ongoing joke at my house, when I had regular kegs.  My wife would ask, "how many beers have you had?" and I would reply, "I make beer, I don't count beer"  ;D

That's cool, about the magazine.  I never made the plunge to whole grain.

alanp

My sister has a bad Coca Cola habit, so all my beer goes into her cleaned and recycled empty coke bottles.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website