News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opinions for Lovetone No Name Flange Build

Started by Bio77, January 24, 2022, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

So, I've been working on finalizing one of Allan's No Name Flange PCB sets.  This build has been a white whale for me.  I got the set as a X-mas PIF in 2018/19! 

I was wondering if anyone who has built this one or the DeadendFX version actually used all of the extra input/output jacks?  Originally, I was thinking about pairing down everything to just a mono in and out, but now I'm leaning towards a stereo version.  The FX loop for this set requires a mod that I don't think I want to get into because it might set me back another year  ;D

Love to hear what you think.

jimilee

Quote from: Bio77 on January 24, 2022, 12:09:49 PM
So, I've been working on finalizing one of Allan's No Name Flange PCB sets.  This build has been a white whale for me.  I got the set as a X-mas PIF in 2018/19! 

I was wondering if anyone who has built this one or the DeadendFX version actually used all of the extra input/output jacks?  Originally, I was thinking about pairing down everything to just a mono in and out, but now I'm leaning towards a stereo version.  The FX loop for this set requires a mod that I don't think I want to get into because it might set me back another year  ;D

Love to hear what you think.

I'm still building mine too, got it about the same time. It's going bit by bit. I will probably add everything, he'll it's taken me this long, might as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Martan

Ha! I got mine the same time and haven't started it. I do intend to go all out with it, though. I will hopefully get a chance to run through most of the Lovetone lineup

gordo

The jack options are brutal but I've never used mine except for mono.  I should really throw down and at least explore the stereo capability and Jon's Harmonic Tremolo video today makes me rethink being so lazy.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Invertiguy

I built the Dead End FX version but haven't really used any of the jacks besides the input and mono output (I tried putting a different flanger in the FX loop once but it didn't do anything besides make unusable crazy noises). I do want to try using the gate/trigger stuff at some point if I can figure out how the hell to implement it but for now I'm content with simplicity.
Doomsday Devices

Govmnt_Lacky

Built many versions of this pedal. Most of the time I used the Mono out (Time and Space combined) however, the pedal really shines if you run a dual amp setup with each output going to a separate amp. Also, the Effects loop is a handy tool.

Didn't get much use out of the CV options though...

LaceSensor

Depends if you care, or want to experiment.
90% or more of the time youll play this in mono unless you are a creative mentalist or a synth/CV guy would be my guess.

The dual outputs would be the minimum however if you have the access to stereo amplification.

The loop is only really useful for putting a delay in there from what I have found.
The CV / trigger stuff is pretty cool but more of a gimmick again unless you are the persons above.
Trigger can be implemented with an external footswitch and a 9v supply, even a battery. I showed how to do it and could dig out the wiring if needed.
You can use a momentary switch to tap in a beat for the LFO, and it plays out like a ramp. You can also have a latching switch to freeze the LFO - this is cool as you can then use a pedal to control the LFO sweep like the old Mutron pedalflange.

Bio77

Thank you, everyone!  The advice is very useful. Sounds like mono and stereo outs is going to work best for me. 

alanp

Lovetone was always about all the options!

And yeah, running it in stereo is super trippy.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Invertiguy

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 25, 2022, 04:51:38 AM

The CV / trigger stuff is pretty cool but more of a gimmick again unless you are the persons above.
Trigger can be implemented with an external footswitch and a 9v supply, even a battery. I showed how to do it and could dig out the wiring if needed.
You can use a momentary switch to tap in a beat for the LFO, and it plays out like a ramp. You can also have a latching switch to freeze the LFO - this is cool as you can then use a pedal to control the LFO sweep like the old Mutron pedalflange.

It's that easy, huh? And here I was thinking I needed to build a full modular synth setup to make use of it! Time to throw some pieces together and start experimenting!
Doomsday Devices

matmosphere

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 25, 2022, 04:51:38 AM

Depends if you care, or want to experiment.
90% or more of the time youll play this in mono unless you are a creative mentalist or a synth/CV guy would be my guess.

The dual outputs would be the minimum however if you have the access to stereo amplification.

The loop is only really useful for putting a delay in there from what I have found.

I'm surprise the cv stuff is that simple as well. Where did you post the explanation? I have a Moog pedal I've always wanted to try that on.

LaceSensor

Please find attached

Below the blurb from Lovetone Flanger manual

Trig/Gate
This is a dual-function socket which allows stop/start and continuous synchronization of the LFO.

GATE: Connect a mono jack all the way in. A positive dc voltage of between 0.7v and 15v will "freeze" the LFO as long as it is applied. When the voltage is absent (or negative going) the LFO will run as normal (at the rate set on the panel control). To sync the LFO to your track you need to set the LFO Rate to approximately the correct tempo and apply short gate signals at intervals corresponding to a whole number of bars. This will (inaudibly) reset the LFO each time. Adjusting the LFO Rate with different gate signals and modulation parameters will give many other interesting rhythmic sounds including "burst" or "ramp" FX. The Gate facility can also be utilized to switch the LFO on and off remotely by using a simple device consisting of a footswitch with a battery in series (with +voltage going to the tip of the connector and a voltage in the range given above).

TRIG: Connect a mono jack in half-way. Negative going edges of a gate signal (square wave) will sync the LFO (and will only interrupt its motion whilst the transition is made). As above, adjusting LFO Rate and modulation parameters can create interesting rhythmic FX. An audio signal of sufficient amplitude (i.e. line level) can also be used to sync the LFO (particularly in the bass region). The results, however, may be somewhat erratic compared to the aforementioned methods and will depend largely on the nature of the audio signal. You can try miking a bass drum for example (via a matching transformer -see In/On) and connecting straight to this socket. Or you could take a suitable feed from the desk. Connecting fully or half-way will yield slightly different results but both are worth trying.