News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

recovering the past...

Started by madbean, January 24, 2022, 04:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I posted this on Instagram b/c I thought it was funny and very telling of how I've spent the last several years. I spent all of Sunday recovering hardware from old prototypes, abandoned projects, etc. This pic is about 60% of what I got. I think in the end it was like 200+ pots and maybe 50+ switches. The FR-300 desoldering gun and my heat gun made pretty quick work of it although it was like a 6 or 7 hour session!

I still have 2.5 boxes full of old boards still waiting for parts recovery. Mostly transistors and caps (I'm sure a bunch of J201 and tone of Panasonic and AVX caps). Not worth it for resistors.

jimilee

Man, that's awesome. I'm starting to build up quite a few boards that sound good, but not great. I was thinking about doing some recovery too. I needs a desoldering iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

I have stashed or recovered parts that have been given to me by a friend who has been into electronics for years. There's a particular smell to them! Old rosin? Mojo? Don't know what it is but it's real.

EBK

Quote from: Leevibe on January 24, 2022, 06:10:17 PM
There's a particular smell to them! Old rosin? Mojo? Don't know what it is but it's real.
Perhaps phenol formaldehyde resin.  Nice sweet smell of electronic nostalgia. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on January 24, 2022, 06:10:17 PM
I have stashed or recovered parts that have been given to me by a friend who has been into electronics for years. There's a particular smell to them! Old rosin? Mojo? Don't know what it is but it's real.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jjjimi84

That is incredible! My de-soldering method is heat it up, burn myself, swear, melt the part I wanted, swear some more and then throw it out with a very loud swear word that rhymes with duck.

Wait Jimilee, you don't box everything?!?!?! I think I have been doing this wrong for so long....

madbean

Last step is pulling some FV-1s off old builds. I've been able to do this before but I'm going to try a new method this time (ChipQuik) and see if it really is as easy as advertised.

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 25, 2022, 07:12:37 AM
That is incredible! My de-soldering method is heat it up, burn myself, swear, melt the part I wanted, swear some more and then throw it out with a very loud swear word that rhymes with duck.

Wait Jimilee, you don't box everything?!?!?! I think I have been doing this wrong for so long....
I have been up until recently. Some of the stuff I've built in the last few weeks just aren't getting a box now that I'm having PCBs fabricated.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: jimilee on January 25, 2022, 07:49:01 AM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 25, 2022, 07:12:37 AM

I have been up until recently. Some of the stuff I've built in the last few weeks just aren't getting a box now that I'm having PCBs fabricated.

Jimi has ascended to the meta-verse of pedal building  ;D

I pretty much box everything.... then rock it... then to the shelf where it will stay most of the time

peAk

Quote from: matmosphere on January 25, 2022, 08:33:26 AM
I pretty much box everything.... then rock it... then to the shelf where it will stay most of the time

same here

harryklippton

Quote from: peAk on January 25, 2022, 08:46:49 AM

same here

I didn't know there was another way

Haberdasher

Hah, I bet de-soldering all those parts from all those old projects is a trip down memory lane.
I've been robbing parts off old boards to build new stuff, but I don't have a nice gun like that.  I'd love to have one but man, the good ones are pricy.  I've seen off brand ones going for a little over a hundred but really have no idea how dependable they are in the long term.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on January 25, 2022, 08:56:47 AM

same here

This. I don't know what's taking up more room, guitars or pedals.

gordo

Damn Jimi, I'm looking at selling off the Music Man which will be the last of my big ticket guitars.  I'll reduce to a few cheap mutts that play like $$$.  My holdouts are a heavily modified 71 Strat (worthless now with all the mods), and a couple of Lados that were big money in their day but not so much currently.  I offed my Hamer to a guy that thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so big win there.  I swapped my 77 LP Special (badly scarred) for a bottle of bourbon (owner was destined to be it's rightful owner anyway) and I pretty much quit over-drinking over that bottle (not a bad thing).
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

harryklippton

Quote from: jimilee on January 25, 2022, 11:03:39 AM
Quote from: harryklippton on January 25, 2022, 08:56:47 AM

same here

This. I don't know what's taking up more room, guitars or pedals.

Amps for me by far are taking up the most room, and I only have a fraction of what I used to. When we moved into the house almost 8 years ago, half the moving truck was cabs