News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

recovering the past...

Started by madbean, January 24, 2022, 04:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on January 25, 2022, 11:39:04 AM
Damn Jimi, I'm looking at selling off the Music Man which will be the last of my big ticket guitars.  I'll reduce to a few cheap mutts that play like $$$.  My holdouts are a heavily modified 71 Strat (worthless now with all the mods), and a couple of Lados that were big money in their day but not so much currently.  I offed my Hamer to a guy that thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so big win there.  I swapped my 77 LP Special (badly scarred) for a bottle of bourbon (owner was destined to be it's rightful owner anyway) and I pretty much quit over-drinking over that bottle (not a bad thing).
60ish guitars is still a small number. I need to sell some, but I like them all. 7 Les Pauls should be the minimum anyone owns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Quote from: madbean on January 25, 2022, 07:47:27 AM
Last step is pulling some FV-1s off old builds. I've been able to do this before but I'm going to try a new method this time (ChipQuik) and see if it really is as easy as advertised.
I'd be keen to hear how this goes, just checked out the video below.
Where do you get the quckchip low meting point solder? I couldn't find it at Mouser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

Holy crap, this is a thing?  That looks awesome!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

Quote from: harryklippton on January 25, 2022, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: peAk on January 25, 2022, 08:46:49 AM
Quote from: matmosphere on January 25, 2022, 08:33:26 AM
I pretty much box everything.... then rock it... then to the shelf where it will stay most of the time

same here

I didn't know there was another way

Sounds about right, it's all about the journey... finishing is pretty anti-climatic.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Quote from: davent on January 26, 2022, 08:54:34 AM
I pretty much box everything.... then rock it... then to the shelf where it will stay most of the time

same here

Sounds about right, it's all about the journey... finishing is pretty anti-climatic.
Yes and no. At the end you have a new toy, then you notice something else all shiny, and you need to have it.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: jimilee on January 26, 2022, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: davent on January 26, 2022, 08:54:34 AM

same here

Yes and no. At the end you have a new toy, then you notice something else all shiny, and you need to have it.

The shiny new distraction usually appears midway through the current project.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Man, I really need to do this. I just got a 1.6MM tip for my FL-300, which makes desoldering pots so much easier than the smaller diameter tip that came with unit.

I've got probably 50 JFETs in need of rescue on failed/crappy project boards. And a slew of AVX caps.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

Update on the ChipQuik adventure:

Over the weekend I used ChipQuik to remove three FV-1 from old builds. In the end, I was able to recover all three with acceptable results. However, I'm not sure if it's really any better or worse then other methods. Previously, I've used my heat gun to remelt the solder connections and simply pull the FV-1 after a few minutes of heating. With the ChipQuik, I used the same method but was able to set my heat gun to a much lower temperature to do the removal. However, there was a lot of cleanup afterwards with the ChipQuik. Each chip came away clean from the pads but I had to use my desoldering gun to clear all the blobs leftover on the FV-1 pins to get them back in to shape for re-soldering. So, I don't know if it's really any better or not. I think ChipQuik is probably great if you are trying to pull a chip clean from a PCB you want to re-use. But, maybe it's not the easiest if you are trying to use the actual chip you are pulling! Unless you have the right tools and patience. FWIW.

jimilee

What heat gun do you use?

madbean

Another follow-up on Chipquik. I had another PCB to recover an FV1 from. Went through the same process as before. To my surprise the chip released just from a few seconds of heating both sets of pins in quick succession with my soldering iron. I didn't even need the heat gun - it just came right off. After cleaning up the leftover solder with wick the FV1 was nearly good as new.

So, I am a believer now. There's not of ton of solder in the package but I've used it 4 or 5 times now and I still have plenty left. I think it's worth recommending it.

jimilee

fig

Quote from: madbean on May 05, 2022, 04:14:29 PM
Another follow-up on Chipquik. I had another PCB to recover an FV1 from. Went through the same process as before. To my surprise the chip released just from a few seconds of heating both sets of pins in quick succession with my soldering iron. I didn't even need the heat gun - it just came right off. After cleaning up the leftover solder with wick the FV1 was nearly good as new.

So, I am a believer now. There's not of ton of solder in the package but I've used it 4 or 5 times now and I still have plenty left. I think it's worth recommending it.
Is this the de-solder alloy ? (apologies if you've already said). I've been eyeing a tube.
I'm lookin' for this place called Lee Ho Fooks