News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VTL5C3 how to role your own?

Started by garfo, January 26, 2022, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerro

This is really highly depending on ldr position in circuit and parts around it. I havent now diamond compressor schema. Maybe I will find it somewhere. Try to play around. Its funny and mostly even usefull 😉
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

Zerro

Now I see from schema from web that optocoupler in Diamond compressor worx as a simple voltage divider/high pass part. That resistor at ground side. So values between 1 Mohm and 1 kohm will be far sufficient, if that previous output resistor will be 100k. That can give many optocouplers I guess.

garfo

I thought that the values on light and dark resistance would be less important. But then, we're left with the other parameters of the ldr...at least I know a bit better on how to proceed, I guess.

Zerro

In this circuit it is only signal volume changer. As a potentiometer. With an additional HI pass accent.

matmosphere

Just looked at the afterlife comp build doc, which I assume is similar to what you are building. Brian suggest that the NSL32-R3 works well in that circuit and notes it is less expensive than the VTL5C3. A quick google makes it seem like you should be able to get it for less than $4 a pop.  Maybe that would work for you.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/1590A/pdf/Afterlife2020.pdf

garfo

Quote from: matmosphere on January 27, 2022, 08:03:53 PM
Just looked at the afterlife comp build doc, which I assume is similar to what you are building. Brian suggest that the NSL32-R3 works well in that circuit and notes it is less expensive than the VTL5C3. A quick google makes it seem like you should be able to get it for less than $4 a pop.  Maybe that would work for you.

I'm more looking at roling my own. To be using something else, I'd rather find the right LDR and LED combination, and that is what I'm trying to find out about and trying to see whoever has been successful with this.

matmosphere

Quote from: garfo on January 28, 2022, 08:19:22 AM
Quote from: matmosphere on January 27, 2022, 08:03:53 PM

I'm more looking at roling my own. To be using something else, I'd rather find the right LDR and LED combination, and that is what I'm trying to find out about and trying to see whoever has been successful with this.

Okay, sorry. Just trying to offer suggestions, I thought the goal was a less expensive alternative to the VTL5c3. Maybe just buy a bunch of LDRs test them and see if any gives you the desired result.

Aentons

I did an experiment with the Tayda 1528 LDR and a green led from eBay and some heat shrink. By adjusting the led/ldr distance, was able to get ON anywhere between 2k and 200 ohms. By completely closing heat shrink opening, was able to get OFF to more than 20M in less than a few seconds. My multimeter goes to infinite past 20. The distance and encasing definitely make a world of difference.

Other than unknown rise and decay times, aren't these similar to the NSL32-R3 specs?