News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any other fans of "The Expanse"?

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, January 31, 2022, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

I've read all but the last book and just finished watching season six about a week ago.
Kinda bummed that Amazon Prime doesn't have any immediate plans to keep it going for what could have been three more seasons.
I've been watching a bunch of "Ty and That Guy" on Youtube as well. I really love how nerdy those guys get about sci-fi, tv and movies ingeneral.
On a positive note, I was able to pick up a drill press from a mechanic named Amos Burton.... ;D
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

jjjimi84

I love it and have watched it a few times, only on book three but really digging it. Excited to see where it goes post tv timeline

madbean

I'm a big sci-fi buff but I don't know why I cannot get into The Expanse. I've tried a couple of times but I can't get past the first couple episodes for some reason. The older I get the shorter my attention span becomes.

At the same time, I've watched all of TNG and BSG more than once, haha.

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: madbean on January 31, 2022, 05:55:03 PM
I'm a big sci-fi buff but I don't know why I cannot get into The Expanse. I've tried a couple of times but I can't get past the first couple episodes for some reason. The older I get the shorter my attention span becomes.

At the same time, I've watched all of TNG and BSG more than once, haha.

The books are pretty amazing. I don't have ass much time to read as I'd like but I found myself flying through them.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"

playpunk

I have book 9 cued up on my kindle and can't wait to start. I love the books but haven't watched the show.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

dawson

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on January 31, 2022, 05:01:37 PM
I've read all but the last book and just finished watching season six about a week ago.
Kinda bummed that Amazon Prime doesn't have any immediate plans to keep it going for what could have been three more seasons.
I've been watching a bunch of "Ty and That Guy" on Youtube as well. I really love how nerdy those guys get about sci-fi, tv and movies ingeneral.
On a positive note, I was able to pick up a drill press from a mechanic named Amos Burton.... ;D

That drill press is SO COOL! haha

The Expanse is great, but I also had a hard time getting started with it.  I think the reason for that is the conversion from book to TV show.  I haven't read the books, but the episodes play out more like literature than most shows we're used to watching these days; they throw tons of relevant information at you without holding your hand at all, and I found it impossible to retain all of the details presented if I only watched an episode once- especially if I were building something at the same time.  (Or maybe I'm just slow?)

Either way, totally worth watching in my opinion, even if you have to watch it more than once to grasp everything.

Also, I have a huge crush on Gunnery Sergeant Bobbie Draper..  What a babe!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jkokura

I read the first book, and then watched the series after season 5 came out. I just watched season 6 that was released as well.

I liked the show better than the book, and I read a lot of books.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Muadzin

I reckon the biggest problem the Expanse had in creating a larger audience was the binge model. The binge model is a stupid business model. It doesn't create a long term buzz and weekly water cooler moment. Game of Thrones would never have become what it was if every season had been released to the binge model. There would be a short spike upon release and then a quick fade out from attention as people move on to the next show to binge on.

You need that weekly release so everyone is on the same level, to have people talk and discuss each individual episode, theorize as to what will happen next week, get fansites and fan youtube channels making their own content explaining and theorizing on the show. Drop it all at once and that just won't happen. The binge model turns TV shows into McDonalds food. You eat it, and you forget it. Only too late did Amazon realize the binge model didn't work and did they start dropping the Expanse episodes on a weekly basis, but by then it was too late. Just look at the Book of Boba Fett Star Wars show. It's shite, but with a weekly release its still generating more fan content and buzz online then the Expanse did.

The binge model must die, and I think even Netflix that popularized this model is starting to realize this. And if you absolutely have to binge you can always do so once a show has fully aired.

jkokura

You do realize that the Expanse seasons 5 & 6 was released by Amazon over a number of weeks, right? It wasn't released with the 'binge' model you describe.

I'm not certain about earlier seasons, but I don't see what this has to do with the Show...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Drew Hallenbeck

The first three seasons were originally on Syfy then the show was cancelled. Fans rallied and Amazon Prime picked it up for the next three seasons. And yeah, seasons 5 & 6 had the episodes (more or less) released weekly.
I think it's just at a point where making the next season (that would cover book 7) would be a bit difficult. There's a pretty big "shift" that happens and it would probably be hard to make it believable.
I'm hoping that there might be a studio willing to take on the last three books as feature length movies instead of three new seasons. Could still finish telling the story but keep the budget a bit more manageable....

harryklippton

Well damn I'd watch this. Is there a way to watch it without prime?

Guybrush

I recently started reading book 1 from a random suggestion on Reddit. Loving it so far and looking forward to seeing how they ported it to TV. Fingers crossed they've done a good job of it.

peccary

I really dig the show. I hadn't heard of it before a year ago or so and was lucky enough to watch most of it without a terribly long wait for the final season. I'm going to have to pick up the books.

They kind of left the ending open - here's to hoping for a few follow-up seasons or a spin off or something.

Muadzin

Quote from: jkokura on February 03, 2022, 07:02:59 AM
You do realize that the Expanse seasons 5 & 6 was released by Amazon over a number of weeks, right? It wasn't released with the 'binge' model you describe.

I'm not certain about earlier seasons, but I don't see what this has to do with the Show...

Jacob

Too little too late. The 1st and 2nd seasons are the most critical of any show. If its not created a buzz by then the 5th and 6th season aren't going to magically make it a hit.

Quote from: harryklippton on February 03, 2022, 03:43:18 PM
Well damn I'd watch this. Is there a way to watch it without prime?

It's called sailing the High Seas matey! Yarr!  ;)

Haberdasher

I read the 1st 2 books...actually I listened to the audiobooks.  Tried watching the first few episodes of the show.  For some reason it never clicked w me. 
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS