News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Woolly Mammoth: 2k linear or... 1k rev log?

Started by JackSkellington, February 03, 2022, 03:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hello guys, I'm playing around the Woolly Mammoth circuit since... over three years! It's arrived the time to finish it. (Tagboard veroboard layout).
My build has some adding, but it's the same basic original schematic we know.
I play the pedal on a totally clean channel with a guitar.
Watching some demo, this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwD5w4HDl1A&t=82s

I noticed something different in a pair of pots. I'm talking about the Volume pot (maybe it's a log not a linear, but that's not so important), and in especially way about the Wool pot, the fuzz control.

My Wool pot works a bit different from the demo I watched. First thing: at half setting I have lower gain than the original. And at minimum setting it sounds really poor, very low gain, not a nice cleanish, just a dirty muddy and faint sound. While the original sounds still rich of gain. In my pedal the Wool pot increases the gain suddenly in the last 10%. I see all these behavior in some DIY pedal videos.
So, the original seems to have a smaller range of fuzz, a more linear tape and it has more fuzz at minimum setting.

In all the schematic we can find the Woolly pot is a 2k linear, but I think a 1k rev log could sound more close to the original. Unfortunately I have none to try.
I just can't understand how every schematic, document, build, etc. I find has a 2k linear as Wool pot.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Betty Wont

i used to build a lot of these. My notes indicate that a 5kC pot gave the best results and that the original used 2kB.

JackSkellington

Thought the tape will work better, seeing my experience with a linear, do a 5k cut even more gain?
DO you play it with a guitar? How do your pedal sounds at lowest gain setting?

Anyway, I can't explain how the original keeps all that gain at minimum and at half setting if it use a 2k, while the one I built, and other DIY I Woolly Mammoth I seen on some video need higher setting of the Wool pot to come alive.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»