News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover Matrix Setting does not Work

Started by Chrisq206, February 04, 2022, 10:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisq206

I finally got my current Lover working, but the Matrix setting on the switch passes signal, there is no effect.

I struggle with this project for quite a while. I initially using the regular non-loop in and out pads on the board for the jacks, but kept getting oscillation when the output jack was grounded to the chassis. I never figured out why and Eventually, as a Hail Mary, I changed the wiring  to the outputs used for the loop wiring, while still bypassing the loop. The regular flange setting works now, but like I said there is signal, but no effect in the matrix setting. I'm not sure if the rewire has anything do do with this or not, but thought I should mention it. So glad the option was there.

Help

benny_profane

Please provide pictures of the updated wiring. Also, can you explain what you mean that the Matrix setting does not work? It's a static effect (i.e., the LFO is disconnected). Are you getting a sound that is different from the bypassed signal? Is the wet signal at all affected by the RANGE and FEEDBACK controls?

thomasha

Check the voltage at the VCO chip. More specifically Pin 3 of the 4013N.
Also, check the wiring at the switch.
In matrix mode it should ground one of the sides of r30 (15k) and present a constant voltage at pin 10 of the LM324.

Ideally, take pictures of the build and read all IC pin voltages with a multimeter.
That will definitely help us. 

Chrisq206

I will check the voltages, etc when I get a chance.

I'm a bit inept at posting photos. I haven't been able to figure out how to downsize them to post

In matrix moder the controls have no effect on the signal. There's no volume change, so it might still be going through the preamp. I have and EH Deluxe EM, so I  have heard what Matrix mode sounds like.

Thank you for the suggestions

I'll report back

thomasha

Hi,
to understand how it works:
- VCO receives a fixed voltage and outputs a fixed frequency
- As a result the BBD outputs a fixed delay (no flanging)
- The metallic sound has to do with the very fast delay and how it combines with the original signal (basically the flanging is stuck at a position)

So, first thing you can check, if you have an audio probe, is whether there is signal at the output of the BBD. If there is no signal, there is something wrong.

You can then check if the clock pins of the BBD have any clock signal. If there is no voltage at those pins or it is too low there is something wrong with the VCO.

By checking the input of the VCO (pin 3) you can verify which voltage it receives in matrix mode. If this voltage is below a certain value the effect will not work. I played with the VCO in mine by connecting the input directly to a pot connected between ground and 9V and I could adjust the voltage at the input and get different clock frequencies. The matrix mode can sound different depending on the voltage setting.

In the original this is provided by the OpAmp, so if the voltage at the VCO is wrong it might be something with the OpAmp, which inputs are controlled by the matrix switch. So, that is why I suggest looking at the switch first. If the OpAmp is biased wrong there will be a wrong voltage at the VCO, resulting in a wrong clock frequency, and no apparent effect.