News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kompromat only works in bypass

Started by notanelectricalengineer, February 04, 2022, 01:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notanelectricalengineer

I recently built the Kompromat compressor, but I'm only getting a signal through to my amp when the pedal is turned off. I'm getting 9V on the power jack and the voltages on the ICs seem to be more or less correct. The transistors all have a ground reading, which isn't what should be happening according to the voltages page for the Kompromat. I'm thinking this is where my issue is, but I'm not sure how to resolve such a thing. Lastly, the LED isn't turning on when I turn the pedal on either. Any help is appreciated; I'm new to building pedals so hopefully the issue is some oversight on my part and a relatively easy fix. Thanks!

jimilee

Look for solder bridges and reflow all your solder joints.

Then take clear all lit close up photos of both sides and the off board wiring. Ho ahead and list the voltages too, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

notanelectricalengineer

From what I can tell there are no bridges.

Voltages (all in mV):
TL072: 1) 27.7 2) 27.8 3) 27.8 4) 0 5) 27.8 6) 28.0 7) 23.5 8) 56.3
LM13700: 1) 2) 124.6 3) 30.0 4) 30.2 5) 18.6 6) 0 8) 53.0 11) 57.0 (The PDF says to ignore 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16)

I've attached a couple pictures. Let me know if you need more or if I should zoom in somewhere.

notanelectricalengineer

Oh and #1 for LM13700 seems to not sit still. It climbs from ~30 to ~120 mV from what I can tell.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

notanelectricalengineer

Sorry for the late response. Busy weekend.
Pin 3 for Q5 is 54.6mV

matmosphere

Are both sides of the resistor right above the opamp soldered?

notanelectricalengineer

jimilee

Quote from: notanelectricalengineer on February 06, 2022, 08:31:14 AM
Sorry for the late response. Busy weekend.
Pin 3 for Q5 is 54.6mV

That is connected to the diode that's connected to the 9v power terminals. Measure both sides of D3 if you would, please.

Bio77

Did you try the circuit outside of the box?  I'm a bit worried about the metal DC jack.  The convention is pedals is center negative, which would short your power to ground unless I don't understand the jack you are using.   

jimilee

Quote from: Bio77 on February 06, 2022, 12:40:05 PM
Did you try the circuit outside of the box?  I'm a bit worried about the metal DC jack.  The convention is pedals is center negative, which would short your power to ground unless I don't understand the jack you are using.
I didn't even notice that. There's a definite power issue.

Zerro

TL072 has to have power supply value 9V at pin 8. And at pin 4 must be zero value - ground. And another pins about 4.5V or cca around it.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

notanelectricalengineer

The positive side of D3 is 61.8mV and the negative side is 9V. Pin 8 for TL072 is not reading 9V and the rest are reading similar to what I said earlier in the post. So from what I understand, I have the wrong jack?

jimilee

Quote from: notanelectricalengineer on February 06, 2022, 03:27:44 PM
The positive side of D3 is 61.8mV and the negative side is 9V. Pin 8 for TL072 is not reading 9V and the rest are reading similar to what I said earlier in the post. So from what I understand, I have the wrong jack?
You should have about 9v on both sides of that transistor. It's just there as a reverse polarity diode. Is it in properly and how does the solder joints look? That goes directly to Q5. If you look at the build doc you can kind of make that out on the traces page.

notanelectricalengineer

I don't have 9V on each side of D3. The negative end of D3 has the same reading as pin 3 on Q5. The solder joints look fine as far as I can tell. Some joints have a yellowish color to them and I'm wondering if that's an issue. I've attached a picture; the red circle is one that has the yellowish tint and the blue circle is one that does not.