News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Few latest builds (1590A Flanger, 1590A Reverbs and others)

Started by dan.schumaker, February 07, 2022, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here are a few of the builds I finished up this weekend.

Pandemonium Jr - This is a take on the Boss BF-2 in a 1590A enclosure.  I wanted to try and make another flanger in a 1590A enclosure, but knew that the only way to make that happen is to go the SMD route.  Knowing what a pain in the butt 0603's can be to solder, I decided to give JLCPCB's PCB assembly a try.  After figuring out how to export everything into a format they could read, it ended up going pretty smoothly.  It does feel a little like cheating, but I did finish it off with the electro's, transistors, trim's and BBD's, so it is still homemade  :)  It sounds really good, a few turns of the knobs, and you have that Purple Rain coming down :)

Camber Reverb - This is a Belton Brick Reverb, shoved in a 1590A.  I used the JLC SMD process again on this one.  This wasn't too bad to fit in, I ended up using some thinner jacks from Tayda (https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/6-35-mm-1-4-righ-angle-stereo-female-connector-thread-lock-panel-mount.html), and the little extra headroom they gave helped me be able to get the cover shut on this one.  Another good sounding reverb.  The dry switch leaves only the reverberated signal, its not super useful, but its there :)

Singularity Reverb - This is a PT2399 reverb for 1590A.  There is 2 PT2399's doing the heavy delay lifting, with slight modulation on the reverb.  This one was a little easier to fit in the box than the Camber, but it was more of a pain soldering everything up.  The trade off I guess :)  The controls are mix for the reverb volume, and the room switch changes the amount of feedback, giving the illusion of a larger or smaller room.  It has simple controls, but it is really all you need to add a little reverb to your chain.

Hurricane - The Hurricane is a BMP derivative, but with a Baxandall tone stack in place of the traditional BMP tone stack.  Its a Muff, it sounds huge.  I like being able to add in or take out the amount of bass in the signal.  Its one of those pedals that the first time I turned it on and hit a power chord, it just makes you smile...

Smokehouse - The Smokehouse is like a Brownface Fender in a box.  The drive section is based on the Greer Soma, and I tacked a Harmonic tremolo to the end of it.  Both circuits sound really good, it can deliver some real nice greasy grind, and on low depths, the tremolo gives the sound just a little movement and something different that you can't quite put your finger on.  Or, you know, crank the speed and depth for an amazing sounding tremolo.

Hawksnest - This is my Skreddy box.  I put a Screwdriver, Hybrid Fuzz Driver and Lunar Module all in one box with some fancy switching.  The Fuzz order switch moves the fuzz either first or last in the chain, while the other order switch changes the order of the Screwdriver or HFD.  Is this a necessary or super useful pedal?  No, but its cool to have all of them in one place  :)

Time Dilation - This is a tape delay box in a 125B.  Taking a look at the controls, you know what this is based on  ;)  This one is just for me, and I wanted to see if I could get it in a 125B enclosure.  Mission Accomplished.  It sounds just like the full size version, just with a slightly smaller footprint.

Exterminator - This is a take on the Clone Theory, also in a 125B enclosure.  I added a little boost circuit on the back end, making sure that the volume is at unity (or with a boost).  You all know how the Clone Theory sounds, and it sounds just like it.  This one is setup with a MN3007 chip.

jimilee

Absolutely stellar! I can't wait to see how you're gonna 1 up ThomasHs's DMM in a 1590 lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

These are remarkable! Great work all around. The Belton Brick in the 1590A is madness. I don't think I'm familiar with the inspiration for the Time Dilation—what circuit is that?

harryklippton

Quote from: benny_profane on February 07, 2022, 08:36:49 AM
These are remarkable! Great work all around. The Belton Brick in the 1590A is madness. I don't think I'm familiar with the inspiration for the Time Dilation—what circuit is that?

I'm guessing the time dilation is a multiplex

dan.schumaker

Quote from: harryklippton on February 07, 2022, 08:57:34 AM

;)

benny_profane

Quote from: dan.schumaker on February 07, 2022, 09:00:24 AM

;)

Ah! Of course. I haven't built that one myself yet.

Bio77

Awesome work, Dan!  I'm with Grant on the Belton Brick in a 1590A!! That's something I've never seen.   

matmosphere

;)

What about the modulation!

Just kidding, those are all incredible! Killer stuff. And the Belton in a 1590a... you're a madman!

dan.schumaker

Quote from: matmosphere on February 07, 2022, 12:37:38 PM

;)

Just kidding, those are all incredible! Killer stuff. And the Belton in a 1590a... you're a madman!

Modulation will have to wait for the 1590BB Version :)

matmosphere

Quote from: dan.schumaker on February 07, 2022, 12:40:42 PM
Quote from: matmosphere on February 07, 2022, 12:37:38 PM

;)

Modulation will have to wait for the 1590BB Version :)

I read that as 1590b for a second and thought you were loosing it Dan.

I hope 1776 comes back one of these days, that is one of the best DIY circuits IMO. It sounds amazing and it is an accessible build.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Wow...  What a lineup...  that BF2!  :o
Congrats on some super builds! :)

thomasha

Nice set!

those smd parts give me nightmares, good to know they have this kind of service.