News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rebox - Hellboy.

Started by Willybomb, February 08, 2022, 04:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

The original Hellboy had some high pitched whistle going on that I couldn't get rid of.  When you look back at the build, it's not surprising.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30180.msg291482

Anyway, I stripped and filled a few holes in that box with JB Weld, and redid it with just the Seventhheaven, moving both Structure (Brimstone) and Boost (Fire) to footswitches.  Kept the 9-18v chargepump.

Should have dusted it off before the photos.

There's a few sinkholes, but overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

EBK

Nice salvage! JB Weld is good stuff.  Often when I do a fill and redrill job I find it necessary to do an additional skim coat of JB Weld using a razor blade as a trowel. 

Is that gray primer or paint in the last pic?  I like that color.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Zerro

Great work - only those transistors would feel better soldered than in sockets. It will bring in time transient resistance (mostly for oxidation and mechanical shocks during handling) and so worse sound - noise, distortion. My opinion...
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

harryklippton

Quote from: EBK on February 08, 2022, 04:42:33 AM
Nice salvage! JB Weld is good stuff.  Often when I do a fill and redrill job I find it necessary to do an additional skim coat of JB Weld using a razor blade as a trowel. 

Wow razor blade trowel is a great idea. Thanks for that

Willybomb

It was actually a two part process.  I backfilled the top row initially and after that cured, I then did a front fill with an old credit card swipe.  The front was sanded afterwards.  I drilled a larger LED hole next to the center footswitch but it was out of line so I filled all of those and did the little 3mm holes instead.

What I did do, was fill the little gaps around the edges with superglue and then sanded that flat.

The paint in the picture is my usual paint - black etching primer - that looked grey in whatever light I took the photo in.  It got a light sand of 800 wet/dry to get rid of all those little bumps over the top.  The sticker goes on after that and it gets 3 coats of Upol Clear to finish.

Quoteonly those transistors would feel better soldered than in sockets. It will bring in time transient resistance (mostly for oxidation and mechanical shocks during handling) and so worse sound - noise, distortion. My opinion...

Any empirical evidence for that?  I can see them having less possible movement when soldered, but the other stuff....

Zerro

Yes, they are (evidences). But at real, all mechanical contacts in audio devices suffer by this, and the longer it works, the bigger noise nad distortions are here. I swear :@)
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

davent

Quote from: Willybomb on February 08, 2022, 05:51:39 AM

It was actually a two part process.  I backfilled the top row initially and after that cured, I then did a front fill with an old credit card swipe.  The front was sanded afterwards.  I drilled a larger LED hole next to the center footswitch but it was out of line so I filled all of those and did the little 3mm holes instead.

What I did do, was fill the little gaps around the edges with superglue and then sanded that flat.

The paint in the picture is my usual paint - black etching primer - that looked grey in whatever light I took the photo in.  It got a light sand of 800 wet/dry to get rid of all those little bumps over the top.  The sticker goes on after that and it gets 3 coats of Upol Clear to finish.

Quoteonly those transistors would feel better soldered than in sockets. It will bring in time transient resistance (mostly for oxidation and mechanical shocks during handling) and so worse sound - noise, distortion. My opinion...

Any empirical evidence for that?  I can see them having less possible movement when soldered, but the other stuff....

Zinssers B.I.N primer sealer is a high solids primer that can be easily be sanded without burning through. I use it over self etching primer and it easily builds to hide all the little divots and sinkholes and with sanding it you can get a near perfect paint surface with out cutting back to the metal enclosure.

You can get it in a spray can or bigger tins which is how i buy it and use an airbrush to apply. I paint with artists acrylics over that.dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?