News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Hawkeye Drive, effectslayouts combo drive

Started by Thewintersoldier, December 02, 2022, 05:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

While working on all these boss pedals I put together an sd-1 and began to ponder every decision I've ever made...why the hell did I use the TS over the sd-1 all these years??? I haven't played an sd-1 since the 90s and I wish I could go back and tell past Chris to get rid of the TS.
       The Hawkeye drive started when I asked @storyboardist why he did have a combo Rat/TS board. like millennials do, he memed my ass and after some good lulz we whipped up a custom drill template and the fun began. The builds were simple enough with low parts counts and I used all generic non mojo parts to prove it sounds exactly the same. OP07 opamp, generic 4148 diodes and 5088 transistors. I have TH jfets but am using smd jfets if the board has the footprint for them. Props to David for always making great layouts that are super flexible tone wise. So how's it sound? It rips. Classic tones, all killer no filler.
     I had the idea of doing a Hawkeye theme and having the SD-1 side as Barton and the Rat side being Ronin but thought about it and decided to change the SD-1 to Bishop and reworked my whole design. My buddy Nick said he likes the 60s Bond look of the silhouette and I knew it was a winner if he approved. Matte violet tayda 1590BB2 and UV print. Don't sleep on the SD-1, the Rat or this combo.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

I love this! I should really try an SD-1. I have to say, back in the '90s I used to love running a TS into a Rat through my roommate's silverface Super Reverb. Great musical feedback that I could control easily...thanks for all the memories with these recent Boss builds of yours!

harryklippton

I don't even have to tell you it looks killer, but now you've got me wondering what an sd-1 sounds like

szukalski

Looking great. I would have had a lot of angst tightening the nut on that toggle switch. Don't want to scratch that beauty!

jimilee

Quote from: Bret608 on December 02, 2022, 05:40:59 AM
I love this! I should really try an SD-1. I have to say, back in the '90s I used to love running a TS into a Rat through my roommate's silverface Super Reverb. Great musical feedback that I could control easily...thanks for all the memories with these recent Boss builds of yours!
I really like the sd-1 as well. I built one and a plumes at the same time. Most excellent combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on December 02, 2022, 05:40:59 AM
Thanks, it's been fun going down memories lane doing these builds, my inner boss fan boi has come back out. You should definitely build an sd-1.

Quote from: harryklippton on December 02, 2022, 05:43:51 AM
I don't even have to tell you it looks killer, but now you've got me wondering what an sd-1 sounds like

Dude, if you want that old school OD sound just build one, it's not as dark as a TS, would sound great into the Oranges.

Quote from: szukalski on December 02, 2022, 07:28:31 AM
Looking great. I would have had a lot of angst tightening the nut on that toggle switch. Don't want to scratch that beauty!

Thanks so much, the trick on the switch nuts is to just hand tighten them, the pot nuts hold the board down anyways. Or use painters tape and remove it after you tighten.  Switch nut washers so soooo ugly 🤢🤮
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Looks awesome, Chris!   8)  I too am about to waste the rest of the day listening too SD-1 demos  ;D

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on December 02, 2022, 01:57:42 PM
Looks awesome, Chris!   8)  I too am about to waste the rest of the day listening too SD-1 demos  ;D
Thanks John, the SD-1 is the younger brother of the TS that is a little more edgy lol. It's a fun pedal that's a blast to play and doesn't have a bad sound.
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

jjjimi84

Look at this clean baby!!! Dang brother looking great

Aentons

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 05, 2022, 04:42:16 AM
Thanks John, the SD-1 is the younger brother of the TS that is a little more edgy lol. It's a fun pedal that's a blast to play and doesn't have a bad sound.

I thought the SD1 was just  a TS with led asymmetrical clipping. Is that not the case?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: blackhatboojum on December 05, 2022, 06:59:02 AM
This build came out great!  Excellent work.
Thanks Clinton

Quote from: jjjimi84 on December 08, 2022, 07:04:45 AM
Look at this clean baby!!! Dang brother looking great

Thanks Dan

Quote from: Aentons on December 08, 2022, 09:13:10 AM

I thought the SD1 was just  a TS with led asymmetrical clipping. Is that not the case?

It's essentially the same circuit, but the asymmetrical clipping and value changes make for a more enjoyable pedal to me. it's not as dull sounding and I like that added brightness. it has more gain on tap and to my ears more volume. It's not drastically different but I like this version better, and I hate smooth symmetrical clipping.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on December 08, 2022, 09:13:10 AM

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: storyboardist on December 08, 2022, 07:05:18 PM
This came out perfectly, Chris!
thanks dude, couldn't have done it without your help!
Who the hell is Bucky?